Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay first off i looked in the search and couldn't really find they answer i was looking for.

i have an 02 with yoshi rs3 cans. flapper valve disabled, no ps3, run 92 octane gas. when riding everything feels completely normal. power is fine, motor sounds fine, everything great. when i let off the throttle it sounds like a v8 with glass packs or something. i will try to explain what i am talking about. i let off the gas it sounds like.....blub blub blub blub pop pop blub blub pop pop. not major backfiring just like unburnt fuel being burnt off. the bike runs just fine. actually get about 135 to 140 miles on a tank of gas. is it normal for the bike to run rich. i also am using the spark plugs that it calls for.

after reading what i wrote about what it sounds like, it sounds really dumb, but i really don't know how to describe it.

just wondering if anything is wrong or is this normal. oh another thing if the bike is just idling and you rev it up, it does not do the unburnt fuel sound.

would a ps3 fix this problem.

thanks
charles

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought removing the pair system would create more pops. might be wrong and dumb.

is the pops and such hurting my bike or is it just exhaust noise you put up with.

how hard is it to remove the pair system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i thought removing the pair system would create more pops. might be wrong and dumb.

is the pops and such hurting my bike or is it just exhaust noise you put up with.

rc51.org has all the mod info you need, including the pair mod.

I'll actually save the trouble of clicking on the bright yellow "mod" link on the page.... RC51 Pair System Removal Guide

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

the pair removal gets rid of popping... the pair system adds air to your exhaust to help burn any fuel that makes it through the combustion process. this burning is the popping you hear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just because of all the info you listed I'll run my comparison to yours:

-2004 w/ Jardine CF low mounts
-Completely stock bike otherwise. PAIR still in place, flapper still in place.
-No PC3
-Run 92-93 octane depending on the place, but I try to run ethanol-free from Kwik Trip when I can.
-I get on average 33/40 MPG (city/highway) which averages about 74/129 miles per tank. Best was 46 MPG (cooler temps earlier this year), worst has been 30 MPG (hotter weather, almost all city riding).

I think the sound you're hearing is completely normal. If you're at speeds and you simply roll off the throttle, as the motor slows down you'll hear the "burble" sound which sounds exactly like you describe-- a V8 with glass packs or straight pipes.

I notice it a lot more at slower city speeds in 1st or 2nd gear. I'm stocked geared (16/40). I can make it happen almost on demand by doing the following: Cruise along in 1st or 2nd around 35-40. Let off the throttle and let the bike engine brake. It'll make the sounds you describe. If you roll on the throttle slightly to give the engine fuel but it's still coasting along you can actually make it generate that sound until the speed of the bike slows enough that the engine is under load to move the bike. It typically DOES NOT make these sounds if I'm engine braking and blipping the throttle on downshifts to match the engine speed, though.

It's not loud, it's not like any backfire popping, not obnoxious, and if you listen real close to I4's I think they do the same thing, too. Oh, and yes, it doesn't make the sound simply revving the bike. My smell-o-meter tells me it runs rich at cold start and when it's really hot (north of 190 F maybe?).

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
1st. it's normal and won't hurt a thing
2nd. you ride like a girl
3rd. get a damn power commander and good map fer Christ sakes you'll be more than happy you did.

ok all kidding aside. it probably isn't running rich when it should. in fact it's probably running lean. a lot of tunes will run fuel through the engine on decell. it makes the on off throttle less snatchy. the pair system injects air to burn off that unburned fuel. this is normal and just a matter of the man mandating it for emissions. ditch that shit. and give a big middle finger to the environment. we'll be dead long before or little toys do enough damage to notice. get yourself a PC and have it tuned, don't just get a tune from some yahoo on the internet, get a real tune. now go ride like a man and kill some dinosaurs.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
My 05 doesn't do this at all . Does anyone know if Canadian bikes are tuned differently ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corsair...you described it EXACTLY!!!

will do the pair removable maybe over the winter.

YES....I ride like a girl. hahaha

only about 6500 miles on my bike. i rub it with a diaper before i put it to sleep and yes i sing it a lullaby.

all kidding aside....wait maybe i am not kidding. anyway thanks guys.

yes i know i need a pc3....don't have the money, just had another baby. well the wife did. that would hurt like hell if i had it. really don't have the money right now to have a custom tune done. if anyone would like to donate a pc3 to me, i would really appreciate it.

thanks all
Charles
:wacky

·
unificator
480 Posts
i love it when my pig snorts!!! but 140 miles per tank..... :wacky

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what is wrong with 140 per tank. that is what i am getting. yes i have a speed healer as well. use 92 octane. about 95% highway riding at night, i work 3rd shift. air is nice and cool at night. maybe that is helping with the mpg

·
unificator
480 Posts
what is wrong with 140 per tank. that is what i am getting. yes i have a speed healer as well. use 92 octane. about 95% highway riding at night, i work 3rd shift. air is nice and cool at night. maybe that is helping with the mpg

refer to reason #2

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
140 per tank is why I said you ride like a girl. lol dude that's a lot. when I see 90miles on the clock I'm lookin for a station. I ride like an idiot though and never commute on my RC. even so when I super slabbed it for 17 hours the best I got was maybe about 120 miles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I only get the kind of mileage I do because A) I'm still stock geared and B) I can't ballz-to-the-wallz it in town because the stop lights are so close to each other I'm lucky if I can get fast enough to hit 3rd gear before I have to slow down for traffic.

On the highway I rarely even hit 5th. It's sad, I know.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Other than the minor weight removal this pair removal modification is a waste of time and harms your environment.

Burning off unburnt fuel in the exhaust does no harm and the popping sound to most racing enthusiast is great fun ... heck go and listen to a F1 when they get off the throttle.

I'd chuck the bike on a dyno and ensure it is not running too rich, cause that is just wasting petrol and will harm your motor eventually ... but if not ...

Anyway your bike.
Pete

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
Other than the minor weight removal this pair removal modification is a waste of time and harms your environment.

Burning off unburnt fuel in the exhaust does no harm and the popping sound to most racing enthusiast is great fun ... heck go and listen to a F1 when they get off the throttle.

I'd chuck the bike on a dyno and ensure it is not running too rich, cause that is just wasting petrol and will harm your motor eventually ... but if not ...

Anyway your bike.
Pete
the only problem with this train of thought is that it throws off your O2 readings on the dyno. if you get a real tune you need to remove the pair system. if somebody is going to tune it with the pair system in place run the other direction.

anyway I thought the Ausie issue RCs don't have the pair system anyway. I'll send mine to ya so you can put it on yours ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts