Have you had any issues with your RC51?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to make a poll to see what sort of issues people had on their Ducati 1098 and 1098S.

Apparently people got really sensitive about it, and said the poll is usesless and if someone doesn't like it they should just sell the Duc and be done with it.

I personally thought it was useful to see how many people were having issues. Even if it wasn't 'entirely' accurate. It gave me a little insight; and that's not a bad thing.

So, as a former RC owner- having had two of them, I'd like to see who's had issues with their RC's.

It's a simple poll, either Yes, major/minor or No. You can elaborate more about specifics if you wish.

...but I have a hunch about this....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two RC51's and one small low side.

ZERO ISSUES with the bike.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not had any issues as such (touching wood I don't have any this season either!) a couple of off's nothing too major that hasn't stopped the racing :)

To be honest, we all know that spending money in the right places on the RC's it is and still is a competitive bike :notworthy . What it lacks on straight line speed, it makes up twice going into, half way through and exiting a corner!

happy as a pig in shit with mine...:rockon

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I love my pieced together, x-stunter, highsided, lowsided RC51!:clapper
I haved tipped it over on another RC51, high sided going 35, previous owner has dumped on both sides doing wheelies and stoppies and it has always barked for more! Now my 94CBR had some rectifier issues I thought would pop up with the RC but I was dead wrong. Both bikes have been great to me and helped me develop a deep rrot for future Honda purchases. I even like the new CBR 1K now!:banghead

By the way, the new CBR 1K looks amazing in track skins and was light as hell at the motorcycle show.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1098 forum is heating up. What a bunch of f***ing cry babies....

So defensive are they about their precious bike!

:wtf

good greif, I'm buying a bike owned by cry babies....:banghead

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
Only issue I've had is with the water pump cover. There are two metal tubes soldered into it. The lower one came apart at speed and dumped coolant all over my rear tire. The rubber hose was still attached and the hose clamp held on. The metal tube just came loose from the cover. Bought another one for about $70 with a new gasket and all is well...

PS - Mine is a 2000 SP1 with over 33,000 miles...

·
Registered
735 Posts
UMM when i rode on the street i had a kick stand issue ( broke off )

and on the track bike i split my cam shaft.. guess some of you guys dont ride hard enough to have issues lol:p

·
Joeitall
318 Posts
On my 3rd RC51 &
had with one of them, is one time coming back from lunch break & the track, I saw a hot babe on my bike & one standing next to it wanting picture with it :woot: .

Well that wasn't the problem, the problem was my wife was with me :banghead

Other than that just one freak problem with the clutch doing a timed run during speed week on the Bonneville Salt Flats :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have owned close to thirty bikes, I have sold Ducatis for a living at a big, 'well respected' dealership and have met many, many Ducati owners. I could write an entire book on the subject at hand. You would be amazed at what really goes on at Ducati.
Ducati does offer a good emplyee purchase program, 10% under dealer cost if bought directly from DNA. All I will say is I still bought the RC51. Itis such a better bike in EVERY way and of all the bike I have owned I must say, by far the best and will NEVER be sold. It does not need regular valve adjustment, special oils, or labor rates close to $100 per hour.
There. I have said to much already

Thank for listening,
Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have owned close to thirty bikes, I have sold Ducatis for a living at a big, 'well respected' dealership and have met many, many Ducati owners. I could write an entire book on the subject at hand. You would be amazed at what really goes on at Ducati.
Ducati does offer a good emplyee purchase program, 10% under dealer cost if bought directly from DNA. All I will say is I still bought the RC51. Itis such a better bike in EVERY way and of all the bike I have owned I must say, by far the best and will NEVER be sold. It does not need regular valve adjustment, special oils, or labor rates close to $100 per hour.
There. I have said to much already

Thank for listening,
Dan

Well now, that pretty much puts the "." at the end of the sentance!! ;)

Speaks loudly about Ducati.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your stories.....

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
in 30000kms all i've had was a coil go bad. got another one for free and that is the end of it.

had a BIG crash a couple seasons ago and even then the bike came out on top, she was good as new for about a grand.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My race bike dropped a valve. That would be major in my book. however, this was after who knows how many race / track miles.

·
Hen Pecked
170 Posts
The RC...none yet, in 5K & 1 year of ownership. Oh wait, it gets hot in traffic because it's rally a race bike that isn't supposed to be waiting for anyone. BTW, like every VFR owner, only the RR was ever a prob. in 8yrs of ownership.

My friend with the brandy new 1098 has been back to the dealer 2 times and is due back again, prolly for a new ECU 'cause it keeps stalling. His 998 is sweet to ride though! That's the one that got me hooked on the twins. It's a bit of a maint. hassle as well, though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts