Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive ordered a total gasket/oring kit for both the top and low end for the engine so im going to just replace everything i come across (its an 04 with 23k might as well since im in there). My question is, in the service manual, 8-6 it states the removal of the exhaust system, oil cooler, throttle body, radiators (taking off anyway to install a 5.2" spal) camshafts, and pulse generater. So...my question is am i going to need any kinda special tools specific to the job? Also, at this point in the manual the engine is out of the bike, will i need to remove the engine? anyone have any pointers for me? :notworthy

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Glweek

As for having the engine out of the bike, no this is not needed. Taking the fuel tank off will be a huge help. Special tools, you'll need a torque wrench and good 1/2 ratchet as the head bolts are TIGHT. I did this 2 years ago when I had my heads ported. I started with the front head as it will take you longer, less room to move. Just take your time and don't rush. HTH

James.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good to hear i won't have to drop the engine:clapper. got a snap-on torque sitting in the tool chest waiting to get a work out....now i just have to wait for my f'wording broken collarbone to heal:banghead

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just a quick question then, how hot was the bike running? There could be some underling issues here, like the T-stat being stuck in the closed position. I'd flush out both rads and inspect the water pump too.

James.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Just a quick question then, how hot was the bike running? There could be some underling issues here, like the T-stat being stuck in the closed position. I'd flush out both rads and inspect the water pump too.

James.

kind of the same lines i was wondering. i have not heard of many HG deals on our bikes thankfully so i was surprised

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive never seen it past 218, and i try to pay attention to the temperature as often as i can. Is there any other way the liquid from the radiators would have leaked into the oil other then the head gasket? how would one test the pump and check to see if the t-valve is stuck? i read the manual on "replacing fluid" in the radiators and it just says to disconnect the bypass hose and let it drain, will it help to poor clean water through the radiator caps while the bypass hose is off to push everything out or will gravity alone do it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
The pump is gear driven, if you can turn the impeller by hand something has let go on the inside of the cover. There are 2 o'rings on the top of that cover maybe one has let got allowing coolant to seep past and down into your oil. The T-stats are cheap, buy another and put it in. The best way is to pull the rads off and drain them out, then flush them out with CLR or something that is aluminum friendly.

James.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey so i checked the schematic for the water pump but it doesn't list those o-rings your talking about. do you happen to have the part numbers or a schematic that shows the water pump o-rings your talking about? might as well take that apart and replace them while the bikes down.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
hey so i checked the schematic for the water pump but it doesn't list those o-rings your talking about. do you happen to have the part numbers or a schematic that shows the water pump o-rings your talking about? might as well take that apart and replace them while the bikes down.

Hey glweek,

The actual "O-rings" should NOT need replacing, unless they have been damaged somehow...? My :twocents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts