Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really interested in purchasing the 06 SM610S but I am reading lots of info about the leaking head gasket. I also have a friend who owns the bike and has experienced the head gasket leak as well.

I was down at my local Husky dealer GP Motorcycles in San Diego and they said they have not heard of the head gasket leaking, in spite of all the posted information on forums like TT, SuperMotoJunkie, etc.

So what is the real story on this head gasket problem?

--Is there an official fix for this problem?
Does Husky have a recall kit, or a specific replacement head gasket that is used to repair the leak? Are there any replacement Part #'s available?

I want to buy this bike and advert a problem if I can.

Thanks in Advance
Bill

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was thinking one of the 610 guys was going to answer. Until they show up:

To the best of my knowledge the only 610s effected by the head gasket issue were in the first batch that came last fall. The problem was some kind of machining defect. I understand that Husky has been sorting out those bikes by milling the head gasket surface on the head itself. None of the later bikes had the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Mine was one of the first batch and mine does have the leak.

It's actually getting fixed right now. I'll let you know more when I get it back.

I think the issue has been corrected, but if not, Husky will take care of it under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a series of Vin Numbers that were associated with a first batch?

I ask this because 2 different dealers in my area have 610's sitting on their showroom floors now. I want to buy one of them. If there was a particular series of Vin numbers that denotes a first batch I could quickly and easily make a decision on which one to buy.

I will keep my eye open for any additional information posted here.

thanks guys
Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have over 1000 mi on mine sofar with no leak. I purchased it November 1st 05. Was that the second batch already? I don't know. Maybe it also has something to do with breaking it in before pushing the motor. It was pretty tight when new.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Jib said:
I have over 1000 mi on mine sofar with no leak. I purchased it November 1st 05. Was that the second batch already? I don't know. Maybe it also has something to do with breaking it in before pushing the motor. It was pretty tight when new.
Yours most likely was in the second batch. The first batch of 20 or so bikes arrived in September and nearly every one of them was pre-sold. It's not likely that there are any new ones left over from that first shipment.

It is my understanding that it was a casting problem and limited to that first batch of bikes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jib said:
That could be an important factor. The engines are very tight when new and should be warmed up thoroughly before it's feed lots of revs. This allows for equal expansion of the head/cylinder/piston. Also retorquing the head is a good idea after a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dave said:
Yours most likely was in the second batch. The first batch of 20 or so bikes arrived in September and nearly every one of them was pre-sold. It's not likely that there are any new ones left over from that first shipment.

It is my understanding that it was a casting problem and limited to that first batch of bikes.
Mine had just arrived when I bought it. So that would make it the second batch.

I wouldn't worry about the head gasket Bill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purcahsed one in Australia in Feb 2006. I am starting to get a bit of coolant sweat out of the head gasket on the right hand side at 900 km on the clock. Not sure what batch it came from but it would have been one of the first to arrive in Australia as it was the bike they showed at the motorcycle show in November 2005.

Its not a huge deal at the moment. My dealer said they would fix it under warranty during the first service (this weekend).

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
gasket

Mine is a 06 early batch TE610, (same engine) and mine had it, covered under warranty and 1200 miles later no problem. A good dealer is the key, be sure they are Husky savvy. Jim.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
jjm525 said:
Mine is a 06 early batch TE610, (same engine) and mine had it, covered under warranty and 1200 miles later no problem. A good dealer is the key, be sure they are Husky savvy. Jim.

Do you recall exactly what your dealer did to remedy the problem? I'm wondering if my dealer has their head on straight.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Eric Landstrom said:
What's going on?
I don't know. They've had it for 2 weeks, and I've only called them twice to ask about it. Each time I have called I haven't really had the impression that they know what they are even repairing. I could be wrong, I just don't have a good feeling.

I had one of them tell me that they couldn't get it to leak, and it must have happened when I ran it hard at the track. Although, I'm 99% sure that I never told anyone at the dealership that this bike had seen any track time.

The blue coolant stains running down the side of the cylinder head should be enough proof that there is a leak, and I don't think the service tech riding it around the block is going to make it to leak again.

They told me yesterday that they are waiting on parts. I guess I can only wait and see.

After this my warranty will have lapsed anyways, then I'll be on my own for repairs, which might just be a good thing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dave, if this drags out then give Rob Keith a call at Husky USA. He has been running around building fires under dealers who are dragging their duffs.

HUSQVARNA/CAGIVA USA
215/830-3300
www.husqvarnausa.com
Rep’s name: Rob Keith

From what I've gathered, the head needs to be milled down to make the gasket surface flat. Any machine shop like Napa can do this.

Let me know if you need any tools or help should it come to that.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Eric Landstrom said:
Dave, if this drags out then give Rob Keith a call at Husky USA. He has been running around building fires under dealers who are dragging their duffs.

HUSQVARNA/CAGIVA USA
215/830-3300
www.husqvarnausa.com
Rep’s name: Rob Keith

From what I've gathered, the head needs to be milled down to make the gasket surface flat. Any machine shop like Napa can do this.

Let me know if you need any tools or help should it come to that.
I have Rob's card in my wallet. It hasn't come to that yet, I just have an uneasy feeling so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine had a cylinder head cracked in about 4 spots and leaked from new. No issues now at 1200 miles and running stronger and stronger.

Dave said:
Do you recall exactly what your dealer did to remedy the problem? I'm wondering if my dealer has their head on straight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts