Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, say I wanted to try a set of slicks on my KDX for track days only. Are slicks so fussy that they need to be warmed up with tire warmers before hitting the track, or can you just get on and ride, after some common-sense warm-up laps? How long could I expect a set of slicks to last on a typical kart track, 2 track days, 4, more?

The Shinko's worked really well, and can probably go another track day or maybe even two if the track's not too rough, but then that's it, time for new rubber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: SM Slicks, track days only (Gerg)

as far as Michelins go, you can get slicks that are basically the same as the DOT's, and the do last a little while longer. if you go out for 2-3 laps as warm up, you should be ok.
you can also try the purpose built Michelin motard tires(the 160 rear will only work if you have a 5" rear wheel, not a 4.25") i run a motard front and a 150 power race soft rear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tip: Don't use the Maxxis Super Soft compound tires unless you have a dirt section to cool the tires off every lap. They'll tear after 6 hard laps on a hot day. That's like riding on marbles... all of a sudden. Otherwise, medium compund Maxxis Intermediates front and rear lasted me six race weekends - twelve days on the track - on my street legal Husky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: SM Slicks, track days only (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TOtherwise, medium compund Maxxis Intermediates front and rear lasted me six race weekends - twelve days on the track - on my street legal Husky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Banda,

Are those slicks you're talking about?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nope, Intermediates. They're between rains and slicks. If you're not competing, they will do just as well. In fact, I use a soft intermediate front and a soft slick on the rear to race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts