Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I finished my valves a few minutes ago and got it all back together and running. Obviously did the belts while I was at it. Got the belts adjusted to the point that a 5mm allen wrench can be pushed through between the belt and the solid roller. A 6 mm will not go through. Guess I could get it through with enough effort. Anyways, now there's a slight whine coming from the belt area and sounds kinda like a very quiet gear drive (if you've ever heard a RC-51) or blower sound. Very faint but there. Not at idle, just off idle and on up. Now I will admit I could be paranoid since I just adjusted something but wanted to see if you guys had experienced this. Already did a test drive and everything seems fine. Thanks guys.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: slight "whine" from belts now?? (galaxy)

Just be sure they aren't too tight. Even with the 5mm allen wrench technique, they can still be overtightened.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: slight "whine" from belts now?? (Joe B)

that there is the sound of belt whine ,,, just a slight backing off should do it ..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: slight "whine" from belts now?? (04749s)

I was at BCM and they were checking my M900 for a faulty sensor and decided to make sure the belts didn't stretch. Long story short, no more 5mm trick! There is a new optical meter that checks the frequency of the belt vibration when "flicked" and requires them to be tightened within a spec which is more like 4 - 4.5mm than the 5mm trick I was used to.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: slight "whine" from belts now?? (Nick D.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick D. »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> more like 4 - 4.5mm than the 5mm trick I was used to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no thanks! They use the laser on all models now? I thought that was just for the testastretta. What'll they think of next to make you buy new tools?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

With the engine cold, lift the belt off the roller with a finger as much as you can - don't overdue it, eh! When the 5mm passes through the raised belt and the roller, it should just barely graze the belt and roller.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: slight "whine" from belts now?? (Monster Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monster Man »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They use the laser on all models now? I thought that was just for the testastretta. What'll they think of next to make you buy new tools?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess it was an issue brought up by Gates, the belt manufacturer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, re-checked them when I got home today. Cold engine, I re-adjusted and when pushing on the belt, the 5mm can pass through with a little resistance. If it were any looser the 6mm would be able to get through there. I can actually push harder and get the 6 through there now if I wanted to. Cranked it up...no whine. Bring the engine up to temp after a little ride and the whine is back. Who knows, maybe it was there before and I'm just know noticing it because I'm looking for it. I can hear it going down the road though and I think I would have noticed that before. Should I back em off some more?? Are there any techniques or checks for checking the tension on a hot motor?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (galaxy)

if the whine is not due to the tightness of the belts, next check to see if the rollers are "roling" freely. have you recently ridden in the rain? do youhave open/vent/no cambelt covers?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (edwyun)

The belts will tighten an incredable amount fom cold to hot, sounds like you are bang on with what you are doing.

New belts tend to sing a wee song with the sharp edges of the teeth talking to the gears.

As edwyun said check the idler pulleys, make sure they rotate without any notchiness or rumbel, if so the bearing inside is oin its way out!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. Rollers are great and these are not new belts. 6000 miles. After re-adjusting, I cranked it up with the covers still off and noticed no whining. It ran for MAYBE 3-4 minutes and I could not believe how tight the belts got in that short amount of time. If my adjustment is right on (or very close) would you leave it or try backing it off to see if the whining goes away?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You should be good to go by the sounds of it, mine whine on the MH when it is warm, I have Rizoma open belt covers, I dear say that once you put the covers back on you will not be able to hear it, you have done everything as correct as you can, I would not be worried about it!

Get an open clutch cover then the whine will dissappear

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

are you SURE the whining is coming from the belts? I've had that happen to me too (when the belts were too tight), but i've heard whining at other times from an open clutch as well after lot of riding in the rain.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, it's the belts. I have a wet clutch. It does not whine when the engine is cold either. I'm gonna back them off a little more and see what happens. I think I have some room before I get into the "too loose" category.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, backed them off a little. They are now to the point edyun described. I may have had them a little to tight. I didn't think so though. Anyways, they are backed off now and after a ride to warm things up good there is still just the tinyest little hint of a whine. You can tell though that loosening the belts eliminated alot of it. Man was I amazed at how tight those belts get when the engine warms up. I really think I could go some more but not sure if I want to. The 5mm key slides through there pretty easy. I wish I had noticed how tight they were before I took them off but guess that would have been irrelevent since they had 6000 miles on them. Oh well, I'm gonna live with it if everyone thinks it's pretty much OK.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

One of the common causes of belt failures (on any engine) is a tensioner pulley bearing failure. Check to make sure that this isn't your source of the whine. These bearings should be inspected at every belt change.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you replace the belts going the same direction they were originally? On the same cylinders? If not, it could be the reason for the whine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Belts were never fully removed. I just loosened them and pulled them off the cam pulleys to turn the cams for the valve adjustment. Pulley's / rollers are good to go. As stated, the whine reduced every time I loosened the belts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts