Speedzilla Forums banner

slave rebuild

1K views 12 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I just quit for today.I bought these replacement parts.I'm going to install because while buttoning up for maintainance I noticed a torn boot.Gee wizz that boot is sooo close to the chain no wonder it tore!I think I spent like $20. in parts.I'll clean/degrease at work tomorrow and crocus cloth the bore. My question though,will the seal ring barb insert into the bore easily enough or should I fashion a sleeve to insert the piston? Please,no evoluzione or yo-yo responces unless the rebuild is futile,based on fact.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Re: slave rebuild (BLZ2DWL)

Ok, Please don't take this the wrong way...Wouldn't it be prudent to replace the stock Ducati single ring piston, with the Evoluzione multi ring replacement while you are in there for the sole reason that the stock unit is prone to failure?....OOPS... I said the "E" word!

G
#4 ·
Re: slave rebuild (Tornado-rider)

Hey, just buy a Yoyodyne. Sorry, I couldn't resist
. Anyway, that replacement piston by "E" is useless. I tried it and had a leak within months. I ended up with a "Y" slave.

G
#5 ·
Re: slave rebuild (ducxl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ducxl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Please,no evoluzione or yo-yo responces unless the rebuild is futile,based on fact.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fine, I have my new STM slave on, very nice.

G
#6 ·
Re: slave rebuild (BLZ2DWL)

""I rebuilt mine a few months ago, no problemo! Just clean the bore with some emory cloth and lightly grease the o-ring, and it should slide right in.""

I did the same 4 or 5 years and ~20k miles ago. She's been running fine since.

G
#9 ·
Re: slave rebuild (Judge)

After a thorough cleaning/grease and reassembly it bled in like 5 minutes and works fine. nothing like the satisfaction of completing maintainance yourself
.The front brake bleeding took a little longer as,i forgot to wrap one bleeder screw with teflon tape and the "Mity-vac" was sucking a little air through the threads,otherwise hurray for those little Mity-vacs.Job done...Now I'll order a bunch of spare slave parts.I'll also manufacture some extra pistons on my CNC lathe as they're obsolete,I guess because everyone believes they're junk and buy aftermarket.

G
#10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ducxl »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess because everyone believes they're junk and buy aftermarket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not me, I have never had a slave leak on four Ducatis. To be honest, the pull on the 998 was very heavy (I don't get this they should all be the same) and I have had arm pump at track days to the point I couldn't pull in the clutch. The STM is easier to pull, but my stocker was never junk.

G
#11 ·
Re: slave rebuild (Phil 998)

I'm no Arnold Shwartzbomber but I never got the impression my clutch pull was heavy.Now my old 89" sportster/w heavy duty clutch spring WAS heavy.I guess if you race (i.e.) track day's you get a more intense workout.Oh well...

G
#12 ·

I never even noticed it riding on the street. It's a track thing, adrenaline induced I suspect. I was OK the next several sessions, must have been nerves. At the last place I worked, they brought in some staff of a local hospital to do a wellness screening. They tested lots of things, but one was grip. The average grip strength was about 100 lbs. and out of 130 employees I was second at 188 lbs. Must be pounding it too much.

G
#13 ·
Let me offer some unasked for advice on Ducati hydraulics. Suck out and replace the fluid in the reservoirs 2-3 times a year, and the clutch more often, whenever you see it changing color. I haven't bleed the systems in years. 22k on my 96 900, and my friends have 23k and 52k on their 92s, without rebuild/replacement of any slave or master. Only takes a minute and I believe it helps. As the units build heat, the fluid circulates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.