Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there have been several tracks closed due to damage done, mainly by footpegs, I just wanted to ask what everyone thought. Should we start requring footpeg sliders, axle sliders, brush guard sliders, or all three?

My initial thought is to require at least footpeg sliders by our August race in Springfield. We'd sell them at the track for those who didn't come prepared. Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Should we start requiring sliders? (chriscap)

If it keeps the track owners happy, then it's a good thing. My only problem is finding the right sliders for my bike. The choices out there seem limited, and I have after-market pegs, so it's nearly impossible to find the right ones. Axle sliders, on the other hand, are much easier to find based on the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Should we start requiring sliders? (Gerg)

I just ordered UFO sliders for Yam, Hon and KTM. I'm going to try them (hopefully) on several bikes to see which ones might work with certain after market pegs.

You know dirt trackers have been required (I think) to run protectors on their pegs for years. Roaming the pits at the Springfield TT Saturday night I saw perhaps the easiest and cheapest idea yet. Nick Daniels attached what looked like very thick gas line hose around the outside of his pegs. Would probably wear fast on pavement, but it would also be cheap and easy to replace.

I bet if we just started requiring them, we'd see some cool, cheap innovations really fast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just ordered UFO sliders for Yam, Hon and KTM. I'm going to try them (hopefully) on several bikes to see which ones might work with certain after market pegs.

You know dirt trackers have been required (I think) to run protectors on their pegs for years. Roaming the pits at the Springfield TT Saturday night I saw perhaps the easiest and cheapest idea yet. Nick Daniels attached what looked like very thick gas line hose around the outside of his pegs. Would probably wear fast on pavement, but it would also be cheap and easy to replace.

I bet if we just started requiring them, we'd see some cool, cheap innovations really fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got the UFO sliders. I haven't really tested them yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet if we just started requiring them, we'd see some cool, cheap innovations really fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe you're right. I also feel the same thing applies to the rest of the Supermoto parts & pieces.

I've been through 30 days of hell trying to find stuff to convert my Kawi over to SM trim, and I've been running into company after company (on-line) that don't have a clue. If there was enough demand, I bet one company could make an absolute killing in the market. Someone like Dennis Kirk comes to mind. They could become "the place" to get all your SM gear & equipment if they'd just figure it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gerg »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I believe you're right. I also feel the same thing applies to the rest of the Supermoto parts & pieces.

I've been through 30 days of hell trying to find stuff to convert my Kawi over to SM trim, and I've been running into company after company (on-line) that don't have a clue. If there was enough demand, I bet one company could make an absolute killing in the market. Someone like Dennis Kirk comes to mind. They could become "the place" to get all your SM gear & equipment if they'd just figure it out.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what Kawi do you have? a KX250?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Should we start requiring sliders? (cb186)

No, a KDX220, which makes the whole process even tougher.

I am switching the front out to a KX250, so that makes it possible to find brakes, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i am currently beginning a search for parts for my KX250. right now it has a stock caliper, ZX6rr master cylinder, and F3 front wheel and a single F3 rotor turned over so it is inboard. after riding it Sunday at DCTC, i found that i need to upgrade the caliper to a 4 piston setup. the problem is, if i want to keep the front wheel(instead of buying a new Excel wheel) i have to find a disc that is flat, not offset.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Out at Wisc there was noticable damage in several corners on the track. they didn't "require" sliders but suggested it for future trips back. UFO makes a set for honda ktm and yamaha that retail for 12 bux, In MN I can hook you up with them through my work if interested.........:)
Personaly after seeing the almost paper thin footpeg on a KTM last weekend after about 5hours of 15 min sessions I will plan on bringing a couple pairs with me when I travel in the future....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Should we start requiring sliders? (guzzidog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guzzidog »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Out at Wisc there was noticable damage in several corners on the track....</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was Gerg's fault.

The UFO sliders are slick. If I ever wear mine out, I'll take you up on that offer Dwain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Should we start requiring sliders? (Dave)

hehehe Really? there was one guy there who told us that they were going to get a little tighter on Tech because of the potential surface damage.
I just ordered 2 sets for my YZ and I think Nick's getting a backup before next week ends.
Anytime I can hook you up Dave let me know!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What are the chances of finding something that will fit my IMS after-market footpegs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I would expect buy the ones that fit stock kawi's and plan on using a dremmel tool to modify the grooves a little bit...... just a guess but they are pretty universal to begin with seems to me. I think we could make it work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ah, but the IMS peg are nearly twice as big as the stockers were.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Send these guys an email or call them and see what they can do for you. I have their axle sliderrs and they rock maybe they can make you a set.

http://www.supermotoengineerin...s.htm

just a thought. also I'll check with a friend and see where he get's his materials at in Mpls, I know he uses a similar material to make bushings for the rearsets he machines, probably just buy a chunk there and carve them out.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I think Banda had the best idea...he took a cheapo plastic cutting board from Linens & Things and cut it up with a jigsaw and bolted it to his pegs...I say that boy is pure genius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Should we start requiring sliders? (stlwalnut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stlwalnut »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think Banda had the best idea...he took a cheapo plastic cutting board from Linens & Things and cut it up with a jigsaw and bolted it to his pegs...I say that boy is pure genius
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You forget... I bolted them to the plates a previous owner had welded to the pegs. If I have seen farther, it's because I stood on the shoulders of a guy who could weld.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts