Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
second PCIII USB failure - what now?

Hey guys,
On the way home from a ride this weekend - bike started studdering and shutoff. FI light comes on, power cycle the thing and it will fire back up. Flashbacks of this happening down the straight at the track have told me this is PCIIIUSB failure. Last time I ripped it out and kept going. DynoJet replaced the unit free of charge.

Bike is an 04 with Banzais, flapper mod, etc. PCIIIUSB had the Dan Kyle Banzai map and was mounted in the tailsection (vibration contributing to failure?? who knows...

Now that this is happening again, I am reluctant to get a replacement. Any ideas as to alternatives (within reason)?? or thoughts??
Thanks

Modified by smiles at 5:42 PM 6/6/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: second PCIII USB failure - what now? (smiles)

These things just don't fail that often....

I bet you have a pinched wire or bare grounded wire in the OEM harness or something that is causing the intermittent problem & the PCIII(s) are perfectly fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting... as for vibration failure, this units are potted on the inside so that should not be an issue. IMO- There may be something going on with your RC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: second PCIII USB failure - what now? (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These things just don't fail that often....

I bet you have a pinched wire or bare grounded wire in the OEM harness or something that is causing the intermittent problem & the PCIII(s) are perfectly fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LDH - Yeah, I have to admit I am beginning to think it is something I did - I am really anal and have done a lot of mechanical work, but this is over the top. Last time, DynoJet replaced the unit, but couldn't find anything wrong. The problem disappeared without the PCIIIUSB. Bike has run fine since (+3000 miles). I am still investigating this incident (need to do some testing and double check all harnesses).

BTW - andres - thanks for the info.

Thanks guys...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: second PCIII USB failure - what now? (MNwilly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNwilly »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did someone say anal!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahaha - that would be me - hetero-anal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are running the ground wire to the neg post on the battery right? If not, somebody around here is likely to "roast you in your flip-flops". Just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (mcoomer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcoomer »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are running the ground wire to the neg post on the battery right? If not, somebody around here is likely to "roast you in your flip-flops". Just a thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I am running the ground to the negative post. Still looking for the problem....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (smiles)

Update:
Finally got some time to really dig into this problem. I rode the bike for about 45 minutes in different conditions. The problem didn't replicate. So I got back, and tore it down a bit. The the wiring all looks intact (PCIII and Fuel Injection wiring at the main plug near the rear cylinder). The PCIII ground is on the battery negative terminal and tight - the wire also has no chaffing, etc.

I checked the MIL light and got no blinks. Short of removing the wiring harness and inspecting it entirely, I am truly at a loss now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts