Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just completed tank repair all is well

Fired first time no leaks (With only 1 gallon fuel)

Wemt out for run – fine

Full throttle – fine

Filled tank up to Honda indicated mark

Rode home 5 miles

Parked bike

5 mins later petrol peeing out of breather pipe – the smaller of the two
nothing coming out of the overflow

lost around 2-3 litres in total

lifted tank

no kinked lines no lines blown off

tank breather clear – by blowing in – ok, and also petrol comes out !

tank overflow clear – by blowing through.

Tank seems to pressurise/vac, cant tell doesn’t do it all the time

2 things happed

1. engine running – fuel pees out of breather pipe
2. engine stopped, 5 mins later fuel pees out of breather pipe

when the fuel is peeing out, opening tank also doesn’t stop it
All lines clear, no kinked pipes, bike runs fine, any ideas, no blockage in overflow or breather connections into tank or pipework

Going to pub very not happy !!

Bobby B

·
Registered
155 Posts
I made a welded repair to the right side of my tank a few months ago and used the Kreem interior liner just for insurance. After the first ride I pulled into my garage and it peed out of the breather line, maybe 4-8 oz. Everytime I fill even close to the recommended fill level it pees quite a bit. I've never noticed a drop coming out of the line during the 9 years of owning it and now this. I haven't investigated further yet by my first attempt at rectifying will be to bend the breather line (inside the tank) closer to the top of the tank. If it works out I'll post it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latest diagnosis after consulting Honda dealer is that if I have a full tank of fuel and blow in the thin breather pipe then if the petrol bubbles then the breather tube within the tank has a hole in it

it bubbles the petrol nicely

will try the same on my blade and sv650 to see if they do it and post back

theory is that breather tube is right at top of tank and by blowing it it should just blow air into top of tank

cheers

Bobby B

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blade and Suzuki have different breathers

looks like new tank ?

I can't see or feel the breather tube within the tank
I can obviously see and feel the overflow tube

the bubbles come from the left hand side of the tank but I can't find or see exactly

bob b

·
RC51 only 4stroke I liked
168 Posts
Maybe by having the tank off and tipping it around you got the vent hose full of fuel which started syphoning fuel out. I can't picture the lines now but if you stick a long hose into a tank, let it fill then take the end, plug it up with your finger than lower that end below the tank it will run till it drains the tank!
Breather hoses go up and meant to allow air in, overflow goes down low away from exhaust and preferably to the side so tire doesn't run over it.
If you have the breather line going down syphoning is possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The breather tube I have blown totally clear into the tank

even after I have blown it clear it still starts peeing out randomly

suspiscion is that there's a hole or a break in the breather tube inside the tank which is causing the petrol to syphon out

this theory is backed up by the fact that blowing up the breather with petrol in the tank causes the petrol to bubble to the point where it is both visible and audible ! Like the kids blowing in their drinks through a straw !

I've ordered the tank via my local dealer it's coming from Honda Belgium and should be here for Thursday

will be up and out and makin some noise this weekend !

Tank price 393 pounds and to be honest I'm very hacked off with the bike I could have bought an 18 month old aprilia tuono for a few hundred more than I paid for it !

So I got an 08 oil burner blade and a leaky sp1

Honda build quality !

Never mind the tears are almost over !

Will update once new tank fitted

cheers guys

bobby b

1 - 9 of 9 Posts