Speedzilla Forums banner

Schumacher... a class act...

2K views 24 replies 0 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
G
#3 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Bucko)

Hmmm... that's weird. I'll just post the text.

Schumacher to donate $10 million to aid in tsunami relief

BERLIN (AP) - Formula One champion Michael Schumacher plans to donate $10 million to aid efforts for tsunami victims in Asia.

Schumacher's manager Willi Weber made the pledge Tuesday in a telephone call to a fund-raiser on German television, organized in collaboration with the German Red Cross, the U.N. Children's Fund and other organizations.

A decision on how the Ferrari driver's donation will be used is to be made together with the Foreign Ministry in the next few days.

The Dec. 26 disaster killed an estimated 150,000 people and left 5 million in need.
01/04/05 16:19

G
#7 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Tripod-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes a class act for the donation-

Just an act to have the media alerted (no class involved)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually Duc, he donates huge sums to various causes quite often and without any fanfare. Certainly far more than our hollywood types.

Yep, class act for sure. By the way, I read elsewhere that he donated 10 million euros which is around $13 million.

G
#9 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Duc)

Besides-
Leo Dicaprio doesn't get as much pussy as Andre 3000 no matter how much money gets spent

1, 2.. 1, 2, 3; yeah!
In-slum-national, underground Thunder pounds when I stomp the ground (Woo!)
Like a million elephants and silverback orangutans
You can't stop a train

Who want some? Don't come un-pre-pared I'll be there,
but when I leave there Better be a household name
Weather man tellin' us it ain't gon' rain
So now we sittin' in a drop-top, soakin wet
In a silk suit, tryin' not to sweat
Hits somersaults without the net
But this'll be the year that we won't forget

G
#10 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Duc)

My name is mud, but call me alowishus devadander abercrombie
That’s long for mud so I’ve been told
Told that by this sonsabitch that lies before me bloated blue and cold
I’ve got my pride, I drink my wine
I’d drink the finest except I haven’t earned a dime in several months
Or were it years
The breath on that fat bastard could bring any man to tears
We had our words, a common spat
So I kissed him upside the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat
My name is mud

G
#13 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kinda makes you wonder how much of the 46 billion of worth Bill Gates has could be thrown at the relief and not know it was gone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bill donates HUGE amounts of money to charity every year. He just doesn't make a spectacle of it. In fact, I'd be surprised if he hasn't given a sizeable amount for this cause.

G
#14 ·
An extremely generous donation to an obviously worthy cause. He is arguably the best race car driver in the world, with what, five or six World Championships.
But when he first; succeded in taking out Damon Hill in the early '90's for one of his first Championships and second; almost taking out Jacques Villenuve a few years later in losing a Championship, a class act he is not. My opinion.

G
#15 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Phil 998)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phil 998 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kinda makes you wonder how much of the 46 billion of worth Bill Gates has could be thrown at the relief and not know it was gone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Reminds me of the words..."It isn't how much one gives, but how much one has leftover."

G
#16 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Tripod-R)

SP3 Phil 998 are correct. Actually a lot of people donate large sums to manyto other organizations.. Some families have specific organizations they will donate to once a year no matter what but this latest incident will have them donating money to the disaster YET they will still continue to donate the usual % to the cancer fund, or heart fund, or you name it.

I donate to both the Cancer & Heart funds every year though I coughed up a lot more for this dramatic disaster & probably will come up with more.

I know of others that donate more then I do. So a lot of people will not be on the front pages STILL the names & their donations of front page people do inspire others to follow through with their twenty or fifty or one-hundred or more dollars.

G
#17 ·
Re: Schumacher... a class act... (Smitty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smitty »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SP3 Phil 998 are correct. Actually a lot of people donate large sums to manyto other organizations.. Some families have specific organizations they will donate to once a year no matter what but this latest incident will have them donating money to the disaster YET they will still continue to donate the usual % to the cancer fund, or heart fund, or you name it.

I donate to both the Cancer & Heart funds every year though I coughed up a lot more for this dramatic disaster & probably will come up with more.

I know of others that donate more then I do. So a lot of people will not be on the front pages STILL the names & their donations of front page people do inspire others to follow through with their twenty or fifty or one-hundred or more dollars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G
#19 ·
Re: (spdrcrx)

They said on the Howard Stern Show today that he lost his personal bodyguard in the tsunami. I don't know if that is true, but I did read this right after it happened.

Not that any of this necessarily has anything to do with his huge generosity to the relief effort.

"<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The diluvian tidal wave that swept Southeast Asia this weekend caused hours of apprehension at Ferrari’s Maranello headquarters, as chief designer Rory Byrne and team principal Jean Todt were both vacationing in the area. The “tsunami”, provoked by the strongest earthquake in four decades - 8.9 in the Richter scale -, has already caused over 20,000 reported deaths in Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Mianmar, Thailand and Malaysia, among other countris.

Accompanied by his girlfriend, actress Michelle Yeoh, Todt’s tsunami scare was the slightest, as he was in Malaysia, one of the least affected countries with 28 deaths confirmed. The greatest concern lied with Byrne, who owns a diving school in the Thai shore - the death toll in Thailand is nearing 1,000.

“Rory and his family are safe,” a Ferrari spokesperson assured. “We kept in contact with him throughout the weekend, and his house is secure.”

The tidal wave’s strength was such that its force was felt even 3,000 miles away on the African eastern coast - nine people have been found dead in countries like Somalia and Eritrea." </TD></TR></TABLE>

G
#20 ·
Re: (Eddie)

Yes, Schumacher's bodyguard was killed, and apparently the man's two sons as well.

Ten million dollars is a tremendous amount of money for one person to donate. Regardless of your opinion of Schumacher, or the amount of media attention one gets or doesn't get, you have to admire this offering. To call it a publicity stunt is sour grapes.

Contrast it with the NBA millionaires club (Kobe, Shaq, and a few others), who decided to donate $1,000 for every point they score tomorrow night. I'm sorry, a thousand bucks a point? So they're "risking" what, 20 or 30 thousand a piece? That's frikkin' chump change to these rich bastards! They'll spend more than that for a set of wheels for their Hummer! Hell, Kobe spent a cool million on a diamond ring for his wife, because he cheated on her...

And they're supposed to be heroes because they send in a few thousand to the tsunami relief?

G
#21 ·
Re: (AZ Scott)

Have you ever thought that the media attention may also bring the attention to the various charities? If that media attention helps someone else decide to donate what they can then how can it be a bad thing?

G
#22 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, Schumacher's bodyguard was killed, and apparently the man's two sons as well.

Ten million dollars is a tremendous amount of money for one person to donate. Regardless of your opinion of Schumacher, or the amount of media attention one gets or doesn't get, you have to admire this offering. To call it a publicity stunt is sour grapes.

Contrast it with the NBA millionaires club (Kobe, Shaq, and a few others), who decided to donate $1,000 for every point they score tomorrow night. I'm sorry, a thousand bucks a point? So they're "risking" what, 20 or 30 thousand a piece? That's frikkin' chump change to these rich bastards! They'll spend more than that for a set of wheels for their Hummer! Hell, Kobe spent a cool million on a diamond ring for his wife, because he cheated on her...

And they're supposed to be heroes because they send in a few thousand to the tsunami relief?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe Tiger and MS were the two highest paid athletes in the world last year - right at 80 million $USD. Schumacher coughing up over 13 million $USD for this one incident is pretty repectable, I think. It's not as much as Tiger spent on his yacht, but it's a lot of money even when compared with his salary.

G
#23 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, Schumacher's bodyguard was killed, and apparently the man's two sons as well.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

NONONO - It's not sour grapes.....(well maybe- I would love to be in a posistion to be that generous).
I just don't suffer from the form of penis envy that tells me to emulate what I see on TV. There are far worse ways to spend money- I don't need to know about what other people are doing in this scenario.

Hey Brad Pitt was paid 20Million for the movie "Troy". Have you seen that flick? He should have been paid 20K.

G
#24 ·
Re: (Duc)

just remember to look in to whom you're giving your donations. Some of these organizations have extremely high administrative costs.

Somewhere on the 'net is a clearinghouse of this type of information - where you can see how many cents out of every dollar goes to where it's supposed to go.

And sorry to see the Sumatran rebels doing what they can to interrrupt the supplies to areas of Sumatra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.