Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like everyone here at the shop is getting motards. My question is, what should I get? I don't want to brake the bank with this bike (my 999 did that) but I do want something fast, reliable, easy to work on, etc.

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: School me (Dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Street or track?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All track

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: School me (section8superbike)

Aprilia SVX 450/550...but of course you may want to give them a year to iron out the kinks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: School me (jager)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aprilia SVX 450/550...but of course you may want to give them a year to iron out the kinks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, as long as your suggesting unobtanium, how about this one...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: School me (Giannis)

It's probably against the law for a Ducati dealer to own a Honda.

Maybe you could build your own using a Supermono motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: School me (Dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably against the law for a Ducati dealer to own a Honda.

Maybe you could build your own using a Supermono motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking the same thing. Jason couldn't really show up to one of section8's "european bikes register first" track days on board a non EU machine.

I have also been thinking about a supermono powered 'tard for a while. Where'd I hide that damn money tree. I'm pretty sure I left in here, but all thats left is this giant hole.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: School me (jager)

It was going to be down to the KTM or the Honda for me before I posted this. At least I am on the right track.

What would be the advantage of getting the KTM over the Honda?

Is the KTM ready to race or does it still need this mod and that mod?

Anyone know any dyno numbers for both bikes?

Which one is more proven? More development?

I saw somthing in the past where the Honda guys were extending the swingarms, putting gtriple clamps on them, etc to get the "good" geometry out of them. Is this something that needs to be done to get it set up the best it can be?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I think by the time you upgrade the Honda to KTM specs you will have spent more than the KTM costs originally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: School me (K-T-M)

Agreed. If you want to race without tinkering then get a KTM SMR. The SMR is a full Supermoto race bike, lowered suspension and all. The only thing it could use is an aftermarket exhaust to get a bit more power.

The KTM SMC is a dirtbike that comes with spare Supermoto wheels/brakes. So don't be confused, if you want a pure race bike get the SMR and not the SMC.

By the time you get a Honda and have the suspension done, get wheels & brakes and everything else you'll likely be spending more money and a lot more time and effort.

Of course there are some of us that are Honda fans and those of us who can't stand the thought of having an off-the-shelf bike so we will continue to build our own stuff just how we like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: School me (MotoGreg)

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking that the KTM might be the way to go. It seems like a pretty good deal to me. I definitly didn't want to get in one of those situations where you buy something and then right after you get it there are 10,000 people telling you you should have done something else

So how much does the KTM cost?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

On my local dealer's website the prices are listed as:
450 SMR $7,498
525 SMR $7,898

There is a new 05 525 SMR up on ebay starting bid 6500 right now. But there are six days left.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: School me (slyde)

Looks like I am going to go with the KTM. The question is do I save up the cash, or sell my GSXR1000 and get one right away

1 - 20 of 22 Posts