Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blackhawk is a track in the Northern Illinois area for you guys not from around here.

I guess it happened on Sunday. It seems like a rider may have passed out, possibly from heat exhaustion, entering T1.

I guess there was a helicopter medevac, but the good news is that the rider was released from the hospital with no injuries but some soreness.

I know this is a lesson to me how the adverse affects of heat and exertion can sneak up on you and cause major problems. I know my cooler will be even better stocked on the next very hot, humid track day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (JamesP)

Absolutely. The last time we went to Jennings it took me almost an hour to get completely cooled off and hydrated after our 3rd session. That included 30 minutes of full blast A/C in the truck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I think we had a rider pass out on VIR North, June 27th, at Champion Sportbike Club event too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think we had a rider pass out on VIR North, June 27th, at Champion Sportbike Club event too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Was he a really fast stunta #347???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The last time I was at Summit Point, WV (middle of this month), the ambient temperature was 90 something, and it was very, very humid (it rained a bit in the afternoon).

I began hydrating at 6:30 in the morning. Drank 16 8 oz bottles of water, 4 12 oz bottles of Gatoraide, poured water on my head, etc. It wasn't enough. I had to quit one session early, suffering from heat exhaustion. I had to ask someone to help me fold up my EZ-Up, and I was stumbling around like I had "old timers" disease.

I go to the same track on Thursday. Conditions are expected to be the same. I'll begin hydrating the evening before. I did find that jumping on the scooter and running around the paddock with my leathers open (especially after having doused myself with water) seemed to help. Close call on my part. Took me two days to fully recover.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (998R)

998R,

I'm off to Pocono Raceway thursday, June 30th. after reading your post, i'll start the hydration (no beer) process, wednesday night. man......scarey stuff.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (TBONE)

Heat will get you but so will Blackhawk. Its a very narrow track with very little run-off. I can't believe CCS races there. They have some airfences which is great to seat. I'd just like to see the track mow and grade the run-off area. Who knows what's in there. It is actually a fun track layout to ride it just needs to be a bit wider with less trees, tires, and more air-fences and run-offs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The scary part is the EMTs from Illinois have 400 hrs. less training than EMTs in Wisconsin for licensing. The guys in my ambul. ride on Sunday, from Autobahn in Illinois, would not give the injections I needed. Oh well, ride another 25 minutes with a resting heart rate of 165. BTW- Who makes the decisions on who gets the track ambulance ride to the hospital? Those ambulances don't leave. They're for EMTs to sit in, especially in Illinois. Those ambulances at the track are leased for lower insurance rates. Watch the heat with Gatorade and ice and an EZ-UP ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (elkheart)

Small town hospitals are even scarier than the renta medics at the track.....ended up in one with six broken ribs, broken collarbone, broken shoulderblade, broken elbow....the @&%#[email protected] doc would not give my ANY painkiller at all for FIVE days....the sorry SOB was afraid that they would do something to my badly broken ribs and cause me to have a punctured lung......freakin' idiot must have got his license from the back of a matchbook. You can not even begin to imagine how it feels to be laying in a bed in mind-boggling pain where every second seems like a minute and an hour seems like a day.

If you get hurt at the track be VERY careful where they take you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 998R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I go to the same track on Thursday. Conditions are expected to be the same. I'll begin hydrating the evening before...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll be a lot better off if you start hydrating several days before riding in conditions like that. If your body isn't used to cramming mass quantities of liquid, it's hard to do it in just one day.

Whenever I'm going to do a track day or race in hot conditions, I start slamming massive amounts of water the whole week before the event, at least a couple of gallons a day.

On race day, drink mostly water and just a little bit of Gatorade, and not the other way around. My partner once had to stop on the side of the road after a race in Vegas, whereupon he hurled about a gallon of Gatorade. You could smell it from inside the truck! Turns out, he drank way to much Gatorade that day, and not enough plain water...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Water does nothing to replace electrolytes, which are what actually enables your muscles to work or not work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (OMEGA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OMEGA »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Water does nothing to replace electrolytes, which are what actually enables your muscles to work or not work.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why I suggested drinking some Gatorade. But that stuff is loaded with sugar and salt, which will mess you up if you drink it all day.

You can also take potassium tablets...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Loosecannon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loosecannon »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heat will get you but so will Blackhawk. Its a very narrow track with very little run-off. I can't believe CCS races there. They have some airfences which is great to seat. I'd just like to see the track mow and grade the run-off area. Who knows what's in there. It is actually a fun track layout to ride it just needs to be a bit wider with less trees, tires, and more air-fences and run-offs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually its better now than it was back in 99. And they are gonna be moving the tire wall on the front straight back 75 more feet. Its getting better. It takes time.

BHF isnt that bad. It has some nasty spots (T2 is teh worst place to crash IMO), but its nothing like how dangerous Gateway is for bikes. Walls and motorcycles dont mix.

Elkhart, thats autobahn. BHF owns its ambulances. Usually transports from teh track go to Beloit Memorial (in WI) and helicopters go to St Marys in Rockford (closest trauma center). Luckily I've never had to ride in the flashing light box truck racing bikes. Have rode in them when I raced cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (jbraslins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbraslins »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think we had a rider pass out on VIR North, June 27th, at Champion Sportbike Club event too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't able to make it there, do you have any more details?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Guys- Shade and cool water are great, but don't think twice about hopping in the truck with the A/C blasting when you are overheated! It is hard for your body to "cool down" when you are sitting in 90 plus degree temperatures!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 998R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The last time I was at Summit Point, WV (middle of this month), the ambient temperature was 90 something, and it was very, very humid (it rained a bit in the afternoon).

I began hydrating at 6:30 in the morning. Drank 16 8 oz bottles of water, 4 12 oz bottles of Gatoraide, poured water on my head, etc. It wasn't enough. I had to quit one session early, suffering from heat exhaustion. I had to ask someone to help me fold up my EZ-Up, and I was stumbling around like I had "old timers" disease.

I go to the same track on Thursday. Conditions are expected to be the same. I'll begin hydrating the evening before. I did find that jumping on the scooter and running around the paddock with my leathers open (especially after having doused myself with water) seemed to help. Close call on my part. Took me two days to fully recover.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (999)

Hey RP, I can't get into the CCS Forum-ever have trouble with that?

I'm with AZ on the Gator-the label says it's mostly sugar. Anybody know what's better at replacing electrolytes than Gator or PowerAide.

999-Next time the truck runs with the AC blasting. Thanks for the reminder.

roadkill- Holy crap, that was definitely a matchbook Doc. You've seen the worst it sounds like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You can drink Pedialyte(sp?) instead of Gatorade, it's what the Kawasaki pro MX team drinks. Go easy on the sugar and caffeine until your day is over, also get out of your leathers if you can or at least your torso to help cool down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Scary accident at Blackhawk (999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> That included 30 minutes of full blast A/C in the truck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Careful, that's how my wife's grandfather caught pneumonia and died. He was judging a horse show and went from hot/humid to car A/C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elkheart »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hey RP, I can't get into the CCS Forum-ever have trouble with that?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope cant get in. They are having a cgi issue right now apparently.

When I'm racing I usually have a case of fruit punch Powerade handy. Tastes better than gatorade and to me is more effective.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts