Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at the Springfield Mile! What a cool event to watch.

Rich King was the winner, must have been 80 lead changes in the 25 lap race.

Rich King raced at our last Gateway Supermoto event. He cleaned up.

Flat track is kinda cool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Saw Pegram racing an Aprilia on Sunday (banda)

Didn't happen to see Team Suzuki with their TL/SV/DL based flat tracker bike didja? I here they are doing pretty good with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Saw Pegram racing an Aprilia on Sunday (BALLS)

COOL!!!

I knew that Rotax made some amazing flat track thumper engines so it it's good to see that the bullet-proof Rotax twin works pretty good too!

I linked this to the Apriliaforum so there will be a larger audience following the action!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Saw Pegram racing an Aprilia on Sunday (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aprilia 1000? what class?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

The uh.. Grand National class.

The rules for the class, including equipment eligibility are at amaproracing.com. Basically what you see out there is a whole mess of Harley Davidson XR750s (winning, btw) a couple or three TL-1000 motored bikes, one Honda, one Aprilia, and one guy racing a totally sano Yamaha XS-650.

The frames are all totally custom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Giannis »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://flattrack.com/aprilia/aprilia.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome link. It mentions Dan Stanley as their first rider. He's another Gateway Supermoto winner. Those flat track dudes really kick some tail at our left-turn-heavy supermoto course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Saw Pegram racing an Aprilia on Sunday (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Didn't happen to see Team Suzuki with their TL/SV/DL based flat tracker bike didja? I here they are doing pretty good with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There were at least three Suzuki 90 degree 1000's out there... two qualified for the main, one finished on the lead lap. Kevin Varnes finshed 8th, the first rider across the line not a part of the 7 bike freight train at the front.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Saw Pegram racing an Aprilia on Sunday (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The uh.. Grand National class.

The rules for the class, including equipment eligibility are at amaproracing.com. Basically what you see out there is a whole mess of Harley Davidson XR750s (winning, btw) a couple or three TL-1000 motored bikes, one Honda, one Aprilia, and one guy racing a totally sano Yamaha XS-650.

The frames are all totally custom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was under the impresion that they have to use 750 twins not bigger..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Giannis)

They've been using TL engines since they first appeared. Obtained cheap from wrecked bikes. I have heard of a few Rotax/Aprilia bikes, just never seen one. Are you sure that is the fuel tank? The oil tank has to be there somewhere. I don't see how an XR750 can even compare for power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (weasel)

Theres also a pretty killer Bonnie out there...still being sorted, but look for it in Texas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (DesmoBob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DesmoBob »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres also a pretty killer Bonnie out there...still being sorted, but look for it in Texas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Killer in the looks department... but not setting the world on fire with race results yet... Jason Tyer raced it in round 3.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (weasel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by weasel »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't see how an XR750 can even compare for power.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all, it's restrictor plate racing at the mile races.

Second of all, horsepower only does so much for you on dirt... tractability, balance, and suspension setup are everything. There are several thousand man years of XR750 setup and development work to draw on. That counts for a lot. In dirt track, where there is little need for acceleration (they do not slow down for the corners much, shit, they don't even have front brakes) weight savings don't mean much. It's all about the hookup... and the 45 degree XR750 is the original big bang multi... just think of what Kawasaki, and Yamaha are doing with revised firing orders on their moto GP I-4s all in the name of traction. That's what the XR750 was doing naturally, in an environment where traction is everything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts