Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just swapped an Airstream for a '06 800 S2R and the rear brake bound up as he was coming home,up the mountain.By the time he pulled over and noticed the disc was bright orange and the brake line was on fire.
So how far will he have to replace parts?Obviously rotor,pads,brake line,wheel bearing but maybe caliper?hub?What else?cush drive?
What else?Speedo cable?Where to get parts cheap? TIA

·
Registered
502 Posts
You're gonna need a new rotor, caliper, and brake line. Thats about it. Most of the heat was prob. dissapated by the rotor (hence the glowing orange!) The cause of this is when someone improperly adjusts the pluger going from the brake pedal into the master cylinder. You are always supposed to have a few millimeters of play before the brake starts to engage. Otherwise, when the fluid heats and expands, it will "lock" the pucks of the caliper in the outward position. Who was fiddling with the brakes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike was owned by a woman from N.H. who had it at a shop for sale on consignment.The problem was,it was more of a ATV/snowmobile place and the "mechanic" there fooled with them.Why? I don't know,it only has 1500 mi. on it.
What's a good place to order parts from,pricewise?

·
2,737 Posts
You'll need a master cylinder fix which was the root cause of the failure.
Once you get to working on it step 1 is to check the condition of the brake fluid. If it's brown and gunky it has clogged the bleed port in the master.
And, be sure to check pedal adjustment to insure that it allows the master piston to fully retract. Either of these conditions has led to the system not releasing pressure netting the disastrous results.

·
Registered
594 Posts
may want to pull the hub apart and check the wheel bearings. theres a good change the grease got melted out. if they are sealed i would replace them. had a front brake a little sticky on a jeep a few years back and it did just that, melted the grease and wrecked the bearings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.I agree about the wheel bearings but he took it to a Ducati shop in Northhampton Ma.and they said that in addition to all the brake stuff he also needed a hub!:confused: Could this be?It is a very expensive estimate in my opinion.Over $2200.I have to admit I have not seen it after the fire.

·
Registered
502 Posts
They're taking him for a ride! Just replace the necessary parts....rotor, caliper/pads, line. Anything else that is obviosly destroyed! You'd be suprised how resilent parts are! Start looking on ebay, i think most 748/9xx parts will interchange (including the hub) def. not a $2200 fix! i'd be taking it back to where i got it too! even used bikes should have some kind of warranty!

·
Registered
594 Posts
thats a bit much, theres 3 full swingarms for the 748/998 on ebay for 500 and 3 848 hubs for 200

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,I will check to see if they are interchangeable.The mechanic says the bearings are probably damaged and are sealed into the hub,hence the need for a whole hub :wtf Does anyone know where I can look at a parts diagram?(micro fiche)

·
Registered
594 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts