Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i am new to this site and a proud new owner of a SP1, the 22nd rc51 ever produced, the 2nd rc51 to come to the united states. so far i have done the flapper and pair mods, i have installed a pcIII and gianelli ti exhaust, k&n filters and vortex rearsets and a texas fairing undertail kit and a afam 520 sprocket and chain kit. i live in san diego,ca. and i am having a slight problem with the heat. my bike often get up to 200 degrees due to traffic and i was wondering if anyone has done that bypass trick to turn the cooling fans on via a switch. any help would great, i would just tear into it now but i figured i might as well try to find some shortcuts.
thanks ahead of time for any help.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: running hot (MAXJAYK)

Max do yourself a favor and get friendly with the Search function.

Yes the bike runs a bit hot in traffic. 200 to 230 is common.

Yes you can wire a manual switch and it has been done.

Try running water wetter and have a custom map built that is fatter in the low to mid RPM area it helps.

Welcome aboard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (aces anugal)

I heard the first 50 Sp1's built where gifted to various HRC customers on the VIP list. I also believe the United States did not get any of these.

But I know for a fact that My RC was actually built as a HRC works bike and was accidentally sold to me as it has the HRC logo on the motor. As soon as I saw that I gave the dealer 50 thousand dollars for it. ( I sure got over on them)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my brother in law works for american honda, he checked the vin# for me before i bought the bike from a collector in colorado, according to him, its legit. yhe last digits in the vin are 000022

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But I know for a fact that My RC was actually built as a HRC works bike and was accidentally sold to me as it has the HRC logo on the motor. As soon as I saw that I gave the dealer 50 thousand dollars for it. ( I sure got over on them)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank goodness am not the only one who did this. I wonder what my bike is worth now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: running hot (sp2pilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp2pilot »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 200 to 230 is common. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what he said....................

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
going by what ive read here, it appears i have nothing to worry about, my bike has only seen 209 degrees, i thought that was hot. cool, thanks everyone, i will add water wetter and not worry about it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on a side note, on the way to work this morning, i hit a red light and landed right behind a ducati 900 ss and a 748 ( how lucky am i ). both bikes were all blinged out, and they were about to race. i dont think they saw me behind them, but when the light turned green and before i hit 3rd gear they saw me sprint past them. oh what a feeling, another successful duc hunt........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re:

Let's see, the 900SS has maybe 75 HP and a 748 around 100; The RC51 is like a wolf in the hen house!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Re: (pannetron)

yeah, but it's still fun!!!!

For the record, I had my RC up to and over 250 degrees in slow moving traffic a couple days ago. Summer is actually here in Minnesota.

The fan fuse had blown. Goes to show that the rad fan does make a difference from 225 to 255. At about 250, the water temp indicator comes on and the temp display blinks at you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first day here and already I'm learning what I need to know. My new (used) RC is posting some high temps. Anywhere from 180 to 231 degrees and we haven't even seen hot weather yet. So I was a little concerned. How hot is this baby gonna get when it's 100 degrees out and I'm idleing down main street? Concerned!

What about relocating the radiators? I've run across one website that does this. Probably not worth the cost, huh?

And how worried should I be if (and when) I see the temp warning light go on?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nevermind
I found some answers in the "?Run Cooler?" thread.

Engine temp seems to be a comon concern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: running hot (MAXJAYK)

Actually the 2nd RC to ever come to the states is here in Memphis at one of the local dealers by request of American Honda who are waiting to get it returned. It was used as a press release bike & has a bunch of prototype sand casted engine casings on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts