Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that here in Cali they are replacing alot of roads with 'Rubberized Asphalt'. As I was watching the news last night, they were talking about this new asphalt being put on our roads this year in the city which I live. I couldn't help to wonder if this would be a positive or negative for motorcyclists. They were commenting on how much smoother the road surface is going to be.

Anyone have any good info on this type of asphalt? Are we looking at any difference (positive or negative) in traction??

I know Socal has been using this type of asphalt for a couple of years. Any input from riders in that area?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Rubberized Asphalt question (CaliDuc)

yes its a big thing in australia,
,they have been using somesort of asphalt on our roads knowing it is very slippery in the wet ,they still have been using it even after knowing the problem,
people have been killed,,
,,court action on the way

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that stuff is all over pheonix highways. the only problem i've ever had was within days of if being layed down. i was able to break the rear tire loose by simply accelerating hard on my r6 (with new m1's). i've been unable to duplicate this and have not experienced or heard of any problems since...wet or dry.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Rubberized Asphalt question (ric916)

Ric916:

Do you know for sure if this is the rubberized asphalt? If so, do you have any info from your local news regarding it?

I dont know the process or content quantity of rubber in the stuff, but I would imagine it would be extremely slippery with antifreeze or oil. More so than with the regular asphalt. I would like to educate myself more on this so if the properties of the stuff do put us more at risk, I can avoid riding on those roads, or compensate my speeds/riding style knowing what I am riding on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Rubberized Asphalt question (CaliDuc)

I was thinking that maybe it has something to do with ground up tires, tyres
down under mate. One way to get rid of them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Rubberized Asphalt question (Rrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rrider »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Approximately 1,500 tires per lane are used for every mile of rubberized asphalt paving overlay applied at a depth of about one inch."</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh...what would you know...you're just a mechanical engineer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Rubberized Asphalt question (ric916)

ric916, not trying to be a d!ckhead but your link is about a dangerous stretch of SMA road, not rubberized asphalt.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's stronger and works pretty well. We spec using it at times.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Rubberized Asphalt question (Rrider)

just thought i'd highlight what australia was doing regarding road surfacing,,that sma shit is just as bad as your asphalt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts