Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As is often the case on this board, another post got me to thinkin'....

Could Rossi be beaten by Jeremy Burgess and another rider?

I'd like to submit that Burgess, Hopkins, and Honda could unseat the Doctor.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would have to say no, a mechanic is only as good as the rider that gives him correct inputs on how to correct problems. It has been said by many that Rossi is a master at pinpointing and prioritizing problems so his mechanics can fix them:twocents

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Burgess and Honda maybe, Burgess and Yamaha, Never.

Burgess is fantastic at figuring out a mechanical weakness in a given design. He is also the best in the business at translating what the rider request into a working unit. It takes a talented rider with a talented crewchief to be this dominent. Rossi is probably 10% better then everyother rider on the grid. however his bike is not. (Edwards results?????)

I would say that Burgess/Hayden/Honda could unseat Val eventually. It just won't happen. Burgess knows what side of the bread is buttered and he would be insane to leave Rossi. If Val retires I suspect Burgess might stay for a season or so however it takes more then that to get the relationship that they have recreated with a new rider.

When Doohan left and Val came in rather then adjusting the bike to val the team adjusted Val to the bike. It took some time before the bike started to have any noticable difference and only after Biaggi started showing results on the Yamaha did Honda listen to Burgess and brought back out the "screamer" and go away from the big bang motors.

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
I doubt that the team of Rossi & Burgess could be broken up - it's almost inconceivable at this point... :wacky

I doubt that they would seperate for money, fame or whatever else at this point... they already have accomplished just about everything there is.....

And from what I have read by Matt Oxley, they are about as close as father & son.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hank said:
I doubt that the team of Rossi & Burgess could be broken up - it's almost inconceivable at this point... :wacky
It was very hypothetical.

Robert, I was also thinking Nicky (I rode so hard at the beginning that I didn't have any tires left at the end) Hayden at first too. But even with a Burgess bike, it's hard to imagine him mixing it up and beating Rossi (and I'm rooting for Nicky every week).

I can imagine Hopkins, Bayliss, or even Nakano giving it a go on a Burgess Honda. Bayliss (In his Ducati days) is the only guy other than Gibbernau and Biaggi that I've ever seen pass and repass Rossi. He's a fighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.