Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Rossi To F1 in 2007? (Rickster)

Even if Rossi was in the best team with the best car, its so difficult to predict how well he would do. While he's the most gifted motorcycle racer alive and quite possibly of all time, does anyone have even a remote idea how well his bike talents translate to his abilities on four wheels?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rossi To F1 in 2007? (bsess)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsess »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even if Rossi was in the best team with the best car, its so difficult to predict how well he would do. While he's the most gifted motorcycle racer alive and quite possibly of all time, does anyone have even a remote idea how well his bike talents translate to his abilities on four wheels? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel that they would translate very well, maybe exceptionally well.....knowing how to wait until the last microsecond to brake and then getting everything out of the vehicle would carry over quite nicely.....he has a gift for speed and will be a winner in F1 no doubt. He may even one day be considered the best racer that ever lived. You would be a fool to bet against him in any thing that involves wheels and motors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Eddie Lawson did well in open wheel racing. He was in a outdated machine to boot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Rossi To F1 in 2007? (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I feel that they would translate very well, maybe exceptionally well.....knowing how to wait until the last microsecond to brake and then getting everything out of the vehicle would carry over quite nicely.....he has a gift for speed and will be a winner in F1 no doubt. He may even one day be considered the best racer that ever lived. You would be a fool to bet against him in any thing that involves wheels and motors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No matter how talented he is or could be, you have drive the right car to win in F1 these days. It sure sounds like he'd go to Ferrari, and that might not be the right car anymore. If MS can't win races in it, I doubt Rossi could!

He did perform well when he tested a Ferrari, but he didn't perform so well in his WRC debut.

I think he'd make a great third driver for any F1 team. It would be a win/win/win situation. He could run Fridays at the race weekends and that would be a big boost to the sport. Can you imagine how many people would come out just to watch him practice an F1 car during a race weekend? A year as a test driver would also be a low-pressure way to get up to speed, and at the end of the year it would be obvious whether or not he had the talent to contend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rossi To F1 in 2007? (SP8)

i think he'll do well , not great .. he's already in the rally thing and a few more things ... so he should do good ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rossi To F1 in 2007? (04749s)

Here is what's going to happen..

He will go to F1 get his ass beaten or almost beaten and then come back and beat the crap out of GIberanu and the others... for X time!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Rossi To F1 in 2007? (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No matter how talented he is or could be, you have drive the right car to win in F1 these days. It sure sounds like he'd go to Ferrari, and that might not be the right car anymore. If MS can't win races in it, I doubt Rossi could!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He would have the right car - Ferrari is still a great car - they just have the wrong tires on it. And they are such a great team with such a large budget that you know that they will have that fixed soon. Even if it means dumping the stones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bsess »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone have even a remote idea how well his bike talents translate to his abilities on four wheels? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Answer: No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I feel that they would translate very well, maybe exceptionally well.....knowing how to wait until the last microsecond to brake and then getting everything out of the vehicle would carry over quite nicely.....he has a gift for speed and will be a winner in F1 no doubt. He may even one day be considered the best racer that ever lived. You would be a fool to bet against him in any thing that involves wheels and motors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My comment: what you say is true enough but the thing that will determine his success is how quickly he learns how to tranlate/communicate what he feels the car is doing so his engineers can make the correct setup changes and then to understand why those changes did what they did. This will not come quickly even for him and will be why he will not (read NOT) be all that competitive as soon as his devoted followers think. Of course I am contradicting my answer to the first question!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eddie Lawson did well in open wheel racing. He was in a outdated machine to boot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My comment: Yes, he did do fairly well especially considering the situation he was in. But, he did not have an outdated machine as suggested, it was current. But, by 1996, the Galles team was not at the same competitive level it had been in the days of Al Jr. and Sullivan. Nonetheless, Eddie scored points in four races in the half season he stayed with the team. This compares to no points for Davy Jones (who took over driving) in the second half of the season. As a side note, I worked with Eddie in '94 and he was great to work with. He won one race (Cleveland), should have won at Long Beach earlier, and was one the box in over half the races. Easily, my favorite of all the drivers I've worked with over the years.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He did perform well when he tested a Ferrari, but he didn't perform so well in his WRC debut.

I think he'd make a great third driver for any F1 team. It would be a win/win/win situation. He could run Fridays at the race weekends and that would be a big boost to the sport. Can you imagine how many people would come out just to watch him practice an F1 car during a race weekend? A year as a test driver would also be a low-pressure way to get up to speed, and at the end of the year it would be obvious whether or not he had the talent to contend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My comment: It's not so hard to get within three seconds of an established lap time. The truly hard part is the last few tenths that determine being competitive on race day or not. I have always seen that "test" as play time and PR for Ferrari, Rossi, and their sponsors and nothing more.

I do agree that if he were to go to F1, the best situation would be for him to be a third driver as you suggested. Lots of track time at all the circuits under the same conditions as everyone else. Somehow, I don't think that is what he would want though. I get the feeling that he would want to race right off the bat.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kiwigav »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is Jeremy Burgess going with him?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My comment: As good as Mr B. is at preparing bikes, cars (especially high level open wheelers) are completely different beasts even forgetting aerodynamics. He would be of no help to Rossi except maybe as a sounding board at the end of the day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts