Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crash.com is reporting that Casey's mechanics have been given fair notice that they may need to find new employment next season. There's only one guy in the paddock who brings his mechanics with him.

Ducati only reports that they've talked to both Rossi and Lorenzo, and that an announcement is due by the end of July.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
So IF Rossi does end up at Ducati next year, that would put Spies next to Jorge?...
I don't think that would be a sure thing. If Yamaha were to get Dovizioso or Pedrosa I think Spies would spend another year at Tech 3. There is a less than 50% Spies rides on Fiat next year, IMO.

Whether Ducati retains Stoner or gets Rossi, the rider I am interested in seeing how it plays out is Hayden. He is somewhat forgotten in all this. For sake of argument if Ducati manages to get Rossi AND keeps Stoner, where does Hayden go? A satellite Ducati would be the next best option. It seems to take him some period of time to get used to a new bike, riding the bike that is basically the same as 2010 would possibly the best scenario for 2011.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I think Stoner is gone from Ducati. Stoner wants to prove he can win on another bike. Also Ducati Factory was not very happy with him for just leaving last year without consulting them. Finally rumor has it that Stoner is like Kimi Raikonein from F1; he loves to ride but hates doing all the other stuff (IE: Promotional stuff). Nicky on the other hand has no problem with that. Nicky likes to work hard and develop the bike but he isn't winning; which is critical for an Italian team. If Ducati is handing pink slips already I wonder how committed Stoners mechanics are (he appears to be having those "odd" problems).

Rossi going to Ducati would be amazing and taking Jerry and his kids. Jerry can develop a bike which will only benefit Nicky. Nicky basically rode (in my opinion) a bike that Rossi sorted out.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Nicky is outriding Stoner right now, and has proven he will ride even if he's all broke up. Nicky and Rossi on the Ducs would be aewsome, and they get along well too. Stoner back on a Honda will get him nowhere, the bikes aren't sorted, and he can't develop squat. Don't they go back to litre bikes next year anyway?...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
" Nicky and Rossi on the Ducs would be awesome, and they get along well too."

They get along b/c Nicky isn't a threat .:D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ducati wants the American and Italian markets; who better than Nicky for the US and Rossi for Europe?? We already know that they're fun together

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The GOAT on an Italian brand? Rossi winning another Championship on the Ducati would be a great swan song.

Another thing to keep in mind is the return of the 990cc machines. Anybody remember the last guy to win a Championship on one of those?

At this point, Ducati would keep Hayden over Pedrosa IMHO. Maybe that's wishful thinking...I don't Know. Hayden or Dovi?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
so with everyone on a new bike next year, the playing field becomes more even for everyone, and Ducati knows how to make a litre bike go fast...

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I thought 990s were back for 2012, not 2011? Did they move it up a year?

I thought when the 990 bikes returned you will have basically three possibilities: 800cc/21L fuel, 990cc/21L fuel, 1000cc (production based 81mm bore max) with 23L fuel.

Which one of these will be the best? Tough to say, but the 800s shouldn't be counted out. They were immediately faster than the 990s in off season testing prior to 2007. With the same fuel available to the prototypes, there may be little reason to go to the 990.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
There is a less than 50% Spies rides on Fiat next year, IMO.
I wouldnt be so sure about that after this last rounds performance, if Ben can string together a few more podiums this season, he may very well wind up on the FIAT team.

Regarding Nicky and Ducati, is his contract up at the end of this season too?

Also Ducati Factory was not very happy with him for just leaving last year without consulting them.
That's one viewpoint but what about the leaked out story with the 'slap in [Casey's] face' offer they made Jorge to come to Ducati? Wasn't it like 3x more than they were paying their own CHAMPION? If true, I'd say that's an enormous reason for Casey to drop his loyalty for that factory. If true, that was very Honda'ish of them which would be disappointing.

Lastly, x2 on the liter bikes coming back in 2012, has that changed?

If Nicky's performance continues to grow these next two seasons, he's going to be one helluva force to be reckoned with on the liter bike, me thinks!

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I would love to see Rossi on the Duc but Crash is on par with MCN for reliable reporting.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
nicky is staying with ducati in '11. he and rossi have been reminiscing about the old days the past few months via email,text,paddock is the word around 2nd chance auto

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Rossi has never forgotten the time that little red V4 showed him the way... I
think he's itching to prove to the world he can ride it quicker than anyone
thought possible... after all his M1 Yamaha mimics the V4 like a bogus Elvis impersonator...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My take:

Hayden stays with Ducati
Rossi goes to Ducati
WhorHay with Fiat
Spies with Fiat
The tird to Suzuki
Capriks retires
Dovi stays with Honda
Casey moves to Honda
Edwards stays with Tech 3
Bubba stays at Suzuki
Simocai moves to Aprilia WSBK
Malandrie moves to Tech 3

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
pure speculation here:

Back when Rossi was on the Honda and winning, everyone said it was because he was on the best bike. So he switched to Yamaha and started winning immediately. Now a lot of people are saying that Burgess is the key to Rossi's success, since he made the switch with him, and suddenly the Yamaha is the best bike while Honda falters. It seems I recall reading a Burgess quote from back when the Rossi/Ducati rumours started flying (this year) that he did not want to switch teams again. Also, I can see Rossi being the kind of guy who will think "I won two world titles before I worked with Burgess, why couldnt I win another without him? Add good old Italian pride and passion for all things Italian, and I can very well see Rossi going to Ducati...sans Burgess.

discuss. :D

1 - 20 of 115 Posts