Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a good day for Rookie

This, on his first ever race weekend. He took a commanding win in the Amateur Heavy weight twin’s race on his 03 RC51!!!

The first race for him was meant to be yesterday (Second to last race on the card for the day). That race was red flagged 2 times and postponed until today.
When that race was run it was also red flagged again today
Total of 6 laps and he never even saw the white flag and the CCS officials declared the race done!

His seconds ever race was race 11A. Second to last race of today. It was an unlimited heavyweight race with Expert and Amateur mixed in. He started dead last. row 17 out of 17. Worked his way up to 13th Am and took at least a top 20 on the road of about 40 - 50 bikes. His lap times really show the sort of traffic he had to deal with, as he was 2 seconds off his normal pace.

Last race 11B heavy weight twins Am and Expert combined. This field was 20 riders strong. He started in the SECOND wave on pole. He made his way up to 6th on the road!!!!!!!

Winning the Amateur Heave weight twins race... Congrats Bro!!!!

Pics to follow!!! What a great weekend.. It's not over either.. He's back out tomorrow for another race tomorrow!!!! Good luck bro!

Eppy your next my friend. Time to get out and RACE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rookie WON!!!!! CCS/FUSA at Summit Point (superbike2001)

Thanks man, I got to hand it to the Crew Chief though, Todd did all the work all weekend, all I had to do was show up and ride, which made things pretty nice. He spent all his time hobling around on a bum ankle taking care of the bike and getting it ready to go for every practice and race. Good pointers and advise all weekend too. Thanks again bro.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Rookie WON!!!!! CCS/FUSA at Summit Point (Rookie)

Anytime my friend! Just make sure you take good care of that #1 Trophy! It's your first, and well deserved!
You have to make sure you take care of Yolanda.. She's really hook you up to man!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rookie WON!!!!! CCS/FUSA at Summit Point (waterboy420)

Darin.................

Looks like I got some work to do......corner-speed for my CCS license in June!! Time to charge it up!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Rookie WON!!!!! CCS/FUSA at Summit Point (eppy01f4i)

Congrats Rookie!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (clarkandgrilli)

I told you so. Let me know when you are doing VIR. Keep it up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Ozone)

nice darin!!!!!!

did you have the 'kettle corn racing' flag flying in the pits?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (old timer)

Sorry old timer.. Were never letting him off that one!
Those jokes were flying all over the pits yesterday! You should have seen the look on the lady's face (she was VP race fuels), when we mentioned that he used diesel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Way to go Rookie!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I dont think I have ever seen Darin smile like that before.

Todd, it was great meeting you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Rookie WON!!!!! CCS/FUSA at Summit Point (Elusive)

LOL... It's tough to get a Marine to smile anyway!

It was also good to meet you!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Update from todays racing... Darin got 12th in the AM heavyweight superbike race! Running 1.21.1xx's That's a second faster than any time run yesterday or Saturday! Good job man!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well todays race was maybe my favorite of the weekend. Started in the second wave 22nd on the grid. Got a pretty decent start and then just went to work. After three races the day prior I built up more confidence to make closer and closer passes which helped me get through a field full of GSXR-750's, but the one bike I was looking for was a 996 Ducati which started 4 rows ahead of me.

In the GTO race on day 1 just as I caught him on lap 5 he decided it would be a good idea to blow smoke and oil all over me and the rest of the track right about the time the red flag came out for the second time in that race. So the next day after working my way up to him again, the red flag comes out and they call the race so he ends up in front of me for that one. Not happy. He didnt go out for the Unlimited Suerbike race, probably making repairs or puttin gin more oil to throw all over me

In the Supertwins race he started right next to me but as soon as the #1 board turned he jumped the start so has to pit in for a stop and go penalty, not that I ever saw him on that lap anyway. It was quite amusing to listen to him bitching about his 2nd place plaque and how he would have won if not for jumping the start.

So back to today, Heavyweight Superbike race, Im turning my fastest times ever at Summit Point, not that I've been there much and I actually do hate that track, but I was down in the 1:21's. This only seems fast to me until I remember that Jensen, Himmelsbech and Harwell were all ripping off 1:14's this weekend. So here I go out of turn 10, getting the best drive I've ad all weekend out of there, finnaly not worried about plowing the tire wall, and I look down the front strait to see the white flag waving and just below it are the signature twin undertail pipes of a Ducati 996. As I cross the start/finish I decide, here we go, last lap, last race, cant ride again for 4 months. I'm going to pass this guy right here right now. I keep the throttle pinned right past the 1st braking marker and then grab the hell out of the brakes and 4 down shifts all at once. Thank god for that $540.00 slipper clutch I just put in last month. The rear starts sliding left and right and the front starts hoping. Right about this time Im at the last braking marker and right along side Mr. Duc. I trail brake into one as hard as I dare and throw the pig on her side and away we go. Amazed I'm still on two wheels, I remember to thank my wife for the Ohlins forks she bought me last year, and tell myself, that guy must be pissed right about now and Im sure he aint giving up yet so I go as hard as I dared that last lap as I had nobody in front of me for a short stretch. I wheelied over 4 again which I didnt like the first time I did it and dove into the carousel sliding the front as I go. I spot another rider a turn up and see if I can run him down before I get into 9 so I stay on the gas all the way around 6/7/8 and up 9 I pull right up on his back wheel.

Now yesterday in the Unlimited Superbike race it turns out I pulled this same move on this same guy. I sat on his back wheel and ran up the inside of him coming out of 10 and we drag raced to the finish where I beat him by maybe a foot, probably less. He's on a GSXR750 and I assume he doesnt know Im up on him again here, I go the exact same way as yesterday, come up inside and right up next to him and here go drag racing down to the checkered flag. This time however he beats me by about a foot, probably less. Great race though. Definately the most satisfying race for me on the weekend. Even though I won the twins race and passed all but 5 Experts, there wasnt many amatures in it.

I looked back after crossing the checkered flag and there was no Ducati in sight. Turns out his best lap of the race was mid 1:23s. I saw him after the race grumbling again about something. He seemed like a very unhappy fella. I did talk to the guy I raced to the finish line both days, he said he heard me coming and knew damn well where I was going and wasnt letting that happen again

So for the weekend I ended up :
1st Supertwins
12th Heavyweight Superbike
13th Unlimited Superbike
13th GTO - What the hell does that stand for?

Thanks to Todd for all the help all weekend, and the VP fuel lady who was my crew chief today when I was all alone

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.