Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I'm driving along on a secondary road in a major built up commercial area, with heavy traffic. I hear a bike coming up somewhere behind me, with a particularly "different" exhaust note.

The squid goes by on an R1 (wife-beater and tennis shoes), weaving in and out of traffic and generally giving all of us a bad name. I catch him at a light and start looking for his exhaust...which I can't find. As we pull out (before he gets back into pissing everybody off mode again), I notice that he has a slash cut pipe with no muffler, that is cut off about a foot after it clears the lower fairing. Don't know if it was an after-market pipe, or something he made but...

...wouldn't running that pipe be bad for the engine? I seem to remember reading something about this a while back...I think the article mentioned something about lack of back pressure causing internal engine damage over time. I don't know that much about exhaust gas theory, etc.... just interested in what you folks think!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Road Going Squid Observation... (998R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 998R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So...I'm driving along on a secondary road in a major built up commercial area, with heavy traffic. I hear a bike coming up somewhere behind me, with a particularly "different" exhaust note.

The squid goes by on an R1 (wife-beater and tennis shoes), weaving in and out of traffic and generally giving all of us a bad name. I catch him at a light and start looking for his exhaust...which I can't find. As we pull out (before he gets back into pissing everybody off mode again), I notice that he has a slash cut pipe with no muffler, that is cut off about a foot after it clears the lower fairing. Don't know if it was an after-market pipe, or something he made but...

...wouldn't running that pipe be bad for the engine? I seem to remember reading something about this a while back...I think the article mentioned something about lack of back pressure causing internal engine damage over time. I don't know that much about exhaust gas theory, etc.... just interested in what you folks think!</TD></TR></TABLE>

The riding, the lack of gear, and the mods that I see in our area never ceases to amaze me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Hickey)

Nope...wasn't that one.

This one angled up at about a 45 degree angle, and was slash cut. It was chrome on the outside, and there appeared to be a smaller pipe inside the dress-up piece.

As an aside...I just came back from droping my Blazer off for service...and one of the mechanics pulls up on a Kawi 250 with only the header pipe attached. Had to think twice about leaving the Blazer there...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Road Going Squid Observation... (998R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 998R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...wouldn't running that pipe be bad for the engine? I seem to remember reading something about this a while back...I think the article mentioned something about lack of back pressure causing internal engine damage over time. I don't know that much about exhaust gas theory, etc.... just interested in what you folks think!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn’t CCS have a race class that runs open pipes?
They want the bikes to sound like MotoGP machines.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Road Going Squid Observation... (drthompson65)

We just put one on our GSXR. It does require mapping. It is titanium and made by Racefit. The craftsmanship is excellent and it gets that can off the side of the bike.
I wouldn't think you would get away with runnung it on the street for long though.
http://www.speedycom.co.uk/sho...age=1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Road Going Squid Observation... (Vandal996)

With a short enough exhaust, it could potentially suck in cold air and warp a valve

when you shut it down. I haven't a clue if that one is short enough to do that.

Also without serious rejetting it would run VERY lean.Probably enough to cause

over heating and such. Cylinder temps could get very high and cause knock, which

will quickly kill an engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts