Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there with a CRF450 can give me some gearing info for road america? i want to make sure i show up with both oars in the water, running on all cylinders, a full deck of cards, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Road America gearing??? (Nick Novice)

13-58 should almost put one oar in the water....how many gears you got?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dirty walt, i hope you mean a 13-48 or i'll look like doug domocos(sp?) the wheelie king. by comparison, what do you run at springfield?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Nick Novice)

Although learning how to wheelie around the whole track would be a skill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Dave)

Although Mr. Domokos died five years ago, I'm sure he would second Walt's gearing recommendation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have a five speed transmission in my 2000 YZ426F, so this gearing may not help you:

I run 14/49 for dirt riding, 15/47 for Supermoto - Including Road America. Top speed there is just about 100mph, but I sometimes hit the rev limiter in top gear in turn 1, at closer to 85 mph, because I'm leaned over, peg clipping the curb.

Man, I love that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Road America gearing??? (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a five speed transmission in my 2000 YZ426F, so this gearing may not help you:

I run 14/49 for dirt riding, 15/47 for Supermoto.</TD></TR></TABLE>

everywhere???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah, everywhere, but it's a little too tall for Springfield. It's spot on for Road America.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (lcariffe)

banda- in reply to ur topin out peg dragging! lol i read that and thought about a similar situation i had! at marshalltown the straight away into the lefty! lol me and matt were covering each other in sparks around that corner until he fell and i started laughing!! my bike is lowered 3 in and thats too much, i was going around the right hander and it was hitting the frame and picking my rear wheel up! scared me a few times i thought i was going for a lil slide! were you there that day dave? fun times!! O and on the gearing thing i have never been to wi. but i would guess that a 13/58 would be a tad to high for any one that is quick. we have a stack of gears from like 42-53 or somthing like that. change it about 5 times at a flattrack event lol! we always fun a 15 on the front just for a lil tip!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Stookes24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stookes24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we always fun a 15 on the front just for a lil tip!</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that for leverage ratio, sprocket wear, a suspension/chain thing, or what? please give up the goods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Nick Novice)

lol i could not tell you!! haha i have been told by numerous Professional flattrack machanics that the biger counter sprocket the better! it might be a flattrack thing but i still always have a 15 on my bike and every 1 else that i know does to. including matt burton, rob pearson, and most likely kings!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Stookes24)

Yeah, the 13/58 was a red herring....
Just tryin to stay in front of someone at the track....

True: 15/46 at Road America, 15/48 at Springfield, 14/50 in the woods

The RA setup is a bit between gears in a couple of corners...but its real close.

Of course, your results may vary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have the wheelie king's bike at the AMA Museum downstairs in the exhibit, it says he's deceased but the thing is pretty cool. Best thing there is Chad's Reed's bike sitting there on the floor where you can go up and inspect every thing about it and sit on it if no one is looking. They are going to have a MX exhibit in a few months that will be awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts