Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROGER LEE HAYDEN LINED UP FOR TECH3 TEST AT VALENCIA? | BikeSport News | News

Following the news that Monster Yamaha's Colin Edwards is so unhappy with the pace of his bike this year that he has been thinking of a return to World Superbike with Ducati, it now emerges team boss Herve Poncharal could already be lining up a replacement.

Roger Lee Hayden, brother of Nicky, has apparently been offered a test on the bike at Valencia just after the final MotoGP round of the year. This may come as a shock to some, considering Hayden's problems in the Superbike class but let's not forget he is on an absolute dog of a motorbike that even the factory team can't get consistent, if any, results from.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
What about Hopkins, he has a relationship with Monster as well plus plenty of experience. RLH seems like more of a Moto2 rider at this point, IMO.

Hopkins/RLH as the Tech 3 team wouldn't be bad to see either, although there is probably other riders like Crutchlow that would get one of the seats over having two Americans again.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Please say it so!
Colin Edwards on a ducati in WSBK, and me having all next year to watch every race in europe...:rockon

As for Hopkins, he sucks and why waste your time with Hayden?

·
Banned
929 Posts
Please say it so!
Colin Edwards on a ducati in WSBK, and me having all next year to watch every race in europe...:rockon

As for Hopkins, he sucks and why waste your time with Hayden?
+10000000

Put CE on the exact same WSBK that RLH is riding now and Collin would smoke RLH's ass. Tech 3 is out of their minds if they think RLH can do any better then CE did.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Dovizioso will take a tech 3 seat before any SBK guy will.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/street-track/61996-how-about-one-thread-silly-season-3.html

Roger is faster than all the Kawasakis at this point in the season which shows well for him in such a pile of shit bike. He scored a top 10 last year at Laguna on his wild card rise on he Kawi which also showed very well for him....
he should start moving up the ranks in WSBK with better and better rides.

but a Tech 3 ride is VERY VERY VERY far away for him.

·
Banned
929 Posts
Dovizioso will take a tech 3 seat before any SBK guy will.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/street-track/61996-how-about-one-thread-silly-season-3.html

Roger is faster than all the Kawasakis at this point in the season which shows well for him in such a pile of shit bike. He scored a top 10 last year at Laguna on his wild card rise on he Kawi which also showed very well for him....
he should start moving up the ranks in WSBK with better and better rides.

but a Tech 3 ride is VERY VERY VERY far away for him.
Didnt he do that in 2007??? When there is only a field of 16 is top 10 really all that good???? Im just sayin

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Didnt he do that in 2007??? When there is only a field of 16 is top 10 really all that good???? Im just sayin
on a Kawasaki anything but dead last is pretty impressive by anyones standards.

add to the fact that he had never ridden a GP bike, tires or carbon brakes and it gets better.

Do i think Roger belongs in GP? **** no. but i still give him credit, i think he's better than some guys in GP and a lot of guys in WSBK.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CE2 back to WSBK would be a good move with Ducati since he could still do "Set up" work on the GP11. I realize that GP riders can't "test" but couldn't a WorldSBK rider do some testing on a Non-GP/Dorna sanction track?

RLH - I honestly think Yamaha is thinking here. Hayden's have brand recognition here Stateside. Yamaha sporting two US riders and Ducati supporting two equals a lot of market share..

In the end its all down to the mighty dollar.

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
Would love to see CE back with Ducati in WSBK!!
If he's going to WSBK, I'd rather see Edwards with BMW. They're on the edge of a breakthrough season but Corser is gettting long in the tooth. Xaus is just a waste of time. Stick Edwards in there and I think you'd see some Happy Huns.

·
Once bitten twice shy...
1,980 Posts
A bunch of fookin nags... The lot of you are. Wouldn't know talent if it rode up and bit the ass out your leathers.
If Corser is long in the the tooth what the hell is Max? Colin? Capirossi?

Didn't Hayden finish 11th? What do you want from the guy? Bike he never rode, tires he doesn't ride on, team he's never known... I guess he was supposed to win? Ridiculous.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Hayden rode it about as well as could be expected for all the reasons you said. But it should also be said expectations were low and he didn't exceed them.

Is RLH MotoGP material? Hard to say but I would fall in the "probably not" camp. His Kawasaki might be a poor bike in WSBK, but he really hasn't done anything on it of note. Just like the LCR ride, expectations are low and he hasn't surprised anyone all year. He is a good rider obviously, and the only place we can compare him on good equipment was in AMA. He is a step below Spies and Mladin for sure. Hacking is about as good, as is Hayes/T.Hayden/Bostrom etc. Basically RLH has the potential to be AMA Superbike champ, maybe even WSS champ if he had a good ride and the grid is thin like now. I don't see him ever being in contention for a MotoGP or WSBK title regardless of equipment.

So the question is, should you struggle at the back end of a big series, or be in contention of a series you have a shot at winning?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hayden did fine for his first time on the bike, and actually validates the idea of using local riders with track knowledge rather than test riders. Sure RLH wasn't really on the pace, but no one should have expected him to do much. However, I would say beating DeAngelis was a win for Hayden, and has shown pretty convincingly that DeAngelis shouldn't be in MotoGP next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts