Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few sets of these NEW wheels coming over the next two weeks (approx).

I saw these at the Indy bike show and they are a great set of wheels. They come in one anodized color and are a really nice upgrade and represent great value for the $$.

We all know how much $$ other wheels cost and are certainly great quality! RK Excel isn't new to wheels. Many of us run them on our sumos with great results!

• Fit BOTH SP1 and SP2
  • International Customers Welcome (as always!)
  • Final pricing is still TBD, but in the mid-$1K USD range (plus ship).

Here is some copy from the RK Excel website.

"Pro Series' universal wheel system allows the user to mount the wheel from one brand or model to another using model specific carrier adapters. This unique system makes your investment in Pro Series long-term and doesn't end when you change models or brands. The aggressively styled Pro Series design is machined from forged aerospace aluminum for increased strength and the stunning hard anodized “Magnum Gray” finish compliments the look of any bike. Available for many sportbike models."

I should have some better pics when they arrive! Very excited about these as an alternative!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Do you know the weights? That's a great price!

Edit: NVM, saw the gram weights. That's 7.9 front wheel 12.2 rear... impressive. 9.4 less than stock if correct.. that would totally transform the bike. http://www.rc51.org/wheel.htm

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its unfortunate....they look awesome but I am wanting a pair of gold wheels for my SP2...

Anyone have a set they want to sell so they can buy these???

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I committed to buying them, I tried a few angles to evaluate the colors:

• Asked if they were avail in raw metal, so someone could take them to an anodizer and have them done in any color they want. The answer unfortunately was "no" at this time.
  • Asked if the anodizing could be easily removed (stripped if you will) and reanodized. I guess that's possible, but I don't know enough about dipping to know whether it will adversely affect the metal or weaken it. The answer there was "that's really up to the customer, but will void the warranty." From the small amnt I know about anodizing, it penetrates the metal slightly and to strip all of it off would involve removing small layers of metal, so sounds like a lot of work for a color change. And a potential safety issue.

I would not recommend is painting them. That defeats the purpose of the rims if you are adding a # or two of paint weight.

I am guessing like a lot of new products, sales volume will dictate how far and fast the line grows. RK probably dumped a ton of cake into production of the rims, and needs to see a return, receive customer feedback, maybe even contingency dollars paid to build the line (read: adding colors, applications, rim styles, etc.).

So in conclusion, yes, I am happy to continue asking or see what might be possible in the future if we have enough committed people. But as we know... group buys of things like exhaust and other smaller one-off pieces are hard to really pony up.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback and support. Will know more when they arrive! :)

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Yea i wouldn't paint an aftermarket wheel. And stripping them for a color change i think would cause them to cost close to the same as a set of Carrozzia's so no money savings there. I guess I will have to wait and see what they do.

I like the style and i know Excel makes excellent wheel products. another question are they gonna make supermoto sized rears? 5" for CRF's or KTM's?

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
When I committed to buying them, I tried a few angles to evaluate the colors:

• Asked if they were avail in raw metal, so someone could take them to an anodizer and have them done in any color they want. The answer unfortunately was "no" at this time.
  • Asked if the anodizing could be easily removed (stripped if you will) and reanodized. I guess that's possible, but I don't know enough about dipping to know whether it will adversely affect the metal or weaken it. The answer there was "that's really up to the customer, but will void the warranty." From the small amnt I know about anodizing, it penetrates the metal slightly and to strip all of it off would involve removing small layers of metal, so sounds like a lot of work for a color change. And a potential safety issue.
they chemically strip them and it does not take enough material off to matter

I am guessing like a lot of new products, sales volume will dictate how far and fast the line grows. RK probably dumped a ton of cake into production of the rims, and needs to see a return, receive customer feedback, maybe even contingency dollars paid to build the line (read: adding colors, applications, rim styles, etc.).

The paragrapgh above makes little to no sense. How would you launch a product like this and dump a ton of cake and need contingency dollars and a return and limit yourself by offering one color? anodizing is not exepnsive and it sounds like they are lazy more then cheap. i am betting they don't want to be bothered to offer colors as it makes things complicated and i think they are cutting thier own bizz feet off by not offering them in colors right off considering you can get anternatives that are ano'd right now

Thanks to all for the positive feedback and support. Will know more when they arrive! :)

good on you for the effort for trying to bring them into market but i would push them to make what people want

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.