Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am lloking to replace my stock vtr clip-ons with something a little higher in order to improve the riding position some. Has anyone done this or seen it done and was the result any good?

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could go several routes: Gen-Mar risers, Helibars or Convertibars.

I don't like the Gen-Mars because you have to raise the stock handlebars to install them. Either you have part of the bar gripping the fork tube, or you have to raise the forks the equal height of the risers which, IIRC is 3/4"

The Helibars are what I would choose. I have had them on my VFR for 5 years and love them.

There's also Convertibars, but though they offer a huge range of adjustment, that's only in theory. Some bikes don't allow you to use the full adjustment potential because of clearance limitations.

http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/

http://www.helibars.com/

http://www.convertibars.com/

Oh, and there's also the Gilles Variobars. Very nice piece of kit, but you're going to have to take out a second mortgage to afford them:

http://www.apexleisure.co.uk/gillesvariobars.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gen-Mar

Due to the price I am interested in the Gen-Mar bars. However I don't want to raise the forks. Does anyone think its' a safety issue if they are mounted per the instructions, which does not include raising the forks?
I need some relief for my sleepy hands, but don't want to risk injury just to save $100.:twocents
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Veefer
The Variobars do look pretty cool but i might go the Helibars too.
are there any VTR owners out there with them? I am curios how much clearence there will be from the bars to the faring after they are installed. As it is standard there is not much space already.

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
ooh...ahh...VTR said:
Thanks Veefer
The Variobars do look pretty cool but i might go the Helibars too.
are there any VTR owners out there with them? I am curios how much clearence there will be from the bars to the faring after they are installed. As it is standard there is not much space already.

cheers
Can't comment about the VTR specifically, but Heli moves the bars rearward AND up, so the extra height is pretty much negated by moving the bars further away fron the windscreen/fairing, and closer to the rider.

I love them on my VFR800, that's all I can say!

·
Registered
143 Posts
vtrslider said:
Due to the price I am interested in the Gen-Mar bars. However I don't want to raise the forks. Does anyone think its' a safety issue if they are mounted per the instructions, which does not include raising the forks?
I need some relief for my sleepy hands, but don't want to risk injury just to save $100.:twocents
Any help is appreciated
They're safe, here's why:
The Gen-Mar risers have a tab that fits the triple clamp where the stock bar tab goes and they also have a detent (hole) that the stock bars' tab fits into..
Once installed your bars should not move at all.
The tabs keep the bars from pivoting on the forks (unlike racing clipons which rely on ONLY clamp tension to hold the bar in place)

I just got a pair & am installing them this week.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
If I don't like the new position I'll go with Helibars & sell the Gen-Mar risers.
I am like you & don't want to spend $239 on a set of Helibars!
Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Bill. Please let me know how they feel. I plan on doing something during the cold Wisconsin winter:clapper

·
Registered
143 Posts
Got the Gen-Mar risers installed & it's a very noticable difference.
My hands do not go numb anymore.
I also bought a set of VFR bars & am going to try them.

The VFR bars might be a little lower than the Gen-Mar set up but the VFR bars are about 1/2 inch closer to the rider.
There is plenty of fork tube above the triple clamp to adjust the VFR bars up higher (to match the height of the GenMar).
The tabs on the VFR bars don't fit the slot on the VTR triple clamp. But so long as the clamps are tight it should not matter. (race clip-ons don't have 'tabs' either)

I did notice with the GenMar risers a full right turn (like getting out of my garage) the fairing hits the high beam switch & turns on the hi beam!
No big deal to me....just turn off the hi beam & go. My right hand runs out of room between the bar & tank too

After I try both I'll end up selling the ones I don't use (hoping you might be interested)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put Heli-Bars on my VTR 10,000 miles ago. Like them a lot. They raise the bars only 1 and one eigth of an inch at the tip , about a quarter inch or so at the clamp so it flattens the droop out of them. The are also a half inch farther apart and a half inch farther back.They fit fine inside the fairing but the fairing limits any greater movement than this. It doesn't seem like much difference on a short ride but make difference on a long haul IMHO.
I unfortunately mangled mine at Laguna yesterday-cold tires,greedy throttle in turn six. Will probably get some new ones eventually but need a bunch of other stuff first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts