Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
One of the most real guys in the Moto GP paddock. I'll miss watching him race and hearing the stories about him on the Eurosport broadcast.

Marco signing autographs at the 2009 Indianapolis GP.

·
Registered
947 Posts
that was a pretty nasty bang he took, from the video it looked like the helmet strap either came undone or broke on the end, cause it was pretty long

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: His Helmet

Hard to tell, but I'm guessing he saved a high side, was hanging off the bike with his head just off the track. Colin and Vale exited the corner and saw him out of the corner of their eyes, and tried to bend their bikes in as much as possible...but the speed they were carrying was too great. Looks like Colin's front tire hit Marco's helmet, and the resulting torque or impact just wrenched it off his head.

Oh my God.

Rest in Peace, Marco.

·
Registered
947 Posts
How did his helmet come off???

All this money for helmets these straps need to stay tight.

...and the Honda suddenly regaining traction???? Spooky!
if you watch the good quality video you can see his helmet strap was still buckled, so it looks like one side broke off the helmet.

- but realistically, he got whacked really damn hard by two bikes, helmet or not it was a bad situation

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Just a terrible, terrible tragedy. From what I could tell, Marco lost the rear and was trying to pick the bike up with his elbow but with his inside leg off the peg and the front tire regaining traction, he just cut across the track into the oncoming traffic of Edwards and Rossi who vainly tried to tighten their lines to miss him.

I think part of what made Marco both such a fast rider and charismatic personality was his fearless bravado and daring. All too sadly, I think it may also have contributed to his untimely passing as I think most riders would have simply let go of the bike before he did. RIP Marco.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
oh wow.... Rossi and Colin are not going to be good after watching that replay, of course not their fault AT ALL, but it has to get to yoiu big time
I feel awful just killing the random maniac squirrel, chipmunk or bird that somehow decides they can "make it." The anguish associated with this I just cannot imagine. I would not be surprised if either of them decided to retire although I can now clearly imagine Rossi taking Marco's Honda seat for 2012 while riding in his honor and declaring next year to be his final season in MotoGP.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.