Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this be a crime? :)

I was at my local suspension shop (http://www.evolutionsuspension.com/) going over options on setting up my RC. Having taking the stock setup to the track before, I was happy with the stock suspension, but I was looking for a bit more. I don't think the front end felt 'planted' enough, and i'm looking for better road feedback. Knowing that the RC responds VERY WELL to new suspension, I have started my quest.

Anyways, we measured my sag, and it seems the stock springs (.95) was sprung perfectly for my weight.

They suggested that I go for a revalve (gold valves) and a new rear shock, along with link for the rear.

Doing this would save me some money, as they mentioned, there wouldn't be a terrible difference between say the stock springs and some racetech ones, since the springs are not progressive. Of course I can go with Ohlins springs, but that would really be pushing my budget pretty far.

It seems the stock front end is perfect for my weight with gear (170lbs.) but obviously the rear spring is waay too stiff. We set the sag on the rear to min. load and it was still too much, so a new rear shock is clearly the solution (or I can just revalve and respring the rear) -- but i'd rather have a shiny new shock. :D

Any thoughts? Oh and yes, i've thought about going to Dan Kyle, as he is kinda local, but I rather support my local shop (they are new and will apprciate any new business)

Thanks in Advance!

Stan

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I'm 215 with gear and my 03 I felt was sprung way too tight, both ends. The fork travel was so limited that throttle twich became annoying as hell cable ties were impossible to push anywhere near bottom and my seat time was real short.........I mean when your molars clack it is time to adress the suspension. Fortunately,Tom Manley was willing to revalve my forks using the ohlins kit with springs. Finding someone who has done a few is a must:twocents as It appears to be a task I would not wan't to learn on the fly.

D.K. actually Alex gave me a great price on my rear shock and link. Once you see the stocker and the ohlins side by side on the bench the stocker will magically fly through the air and shatter the empty beer bottles in the trash can :clapper

I can't beleive what a huge improvement this mod made. The first ride was at Brainerd International and the word butter kept going through my mind.Tom got it to a good starting point and as a green TRACK rider I was more than happy 31/30 In the tires and this rig was planted/predictable/smooth..these parts help traction and the by-product is comfort. I can ride waaaay longer now and with more confidence. Braking is much better and both ends travel now.

This stuff is spendy, But to ride a machine that you want to fix even though you got thoulsands of dollars into drove me nuts:banghead Add 4K to the cost of the bike (engine/suspension) and your still under what a lot of guys spend for those silly inlines or black paint

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'm not sure what you're budget is, but I used a guy down here in Texas. He also does suspension for the Safety First AMA Superbike team. In his opinion, the Showa forks just need to be re-worked and re-sprung (if neccessary). He prefers to re-work/modify the stock valves over race-techs gold valves. He does the following service which is way better value over DK's re-work. If you don't need new springs, it's even cheaper.

Basic Fork Re-valve (Sport Package) ($295.00-$375.00) – This is an extraordinary value for the track day OR budget minded racer. It includes a full service as well as modifications to the stock shim stack on the rebound and compression units as well as NEW Traxxion Dynamics racing competition springs. (Includes fork oil, shim parts, and forks off motorcycle, and oil change/service)

http://www.roadracinghelp.com/

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Dan has done more RC forks then all the other suspension tuners in the United States combined. There is a reason, he knows what he is doing.

Dan has been doing the same basic service for the RC forks and there are thousands of satisfied clients running around.

His service includes but is not limited to a replacement of the cartridge, anew spacer, a replacement of the stack, a respring, a micro polish of the sliders, and of course a replacement of oil. His turn around is under a week and in many cases (all of my customers that I hand carry in to the shop) Dan will do the work while I wait. (as long as I help out and stay out of his way)

Dan did not just do suspension for a couple teams that run AMA. Dan was voted AMA crewchief of the year ,...twice. He has the credentials to back up his status in the game.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm sold! I was planning on shipping them off to Dan this winter anyways, but now it's a definite! How much does he charge for all of that?

·
Registered
296 Posts
southpark460 said:
I'm sold! I was planning on shipping them off to Dan this winter anyways, but now it's a definite! How much does he charge for all of that?
His website says $340, includes polishing fork tubes, polishing valves, new 5 wt. fork oil, reshimming.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah, I had seen that but I wasn't sure if that included new springs too (didn't mention it so I'm guessing no). And I've been too lazy to call him!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've always been under the impression that DK's $340 job does not include new springs. I've always thought he just re-works the stock springs as best he can with all of the stock components. If I am wrong, then my mistake. If that does include new springs, he needs to add that little tidbit to his description on his website.:twocents Seems like an important detail to me.

Also, I was mostly including the service I got (from RPS) as a reference point for services Stan was looking to get.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
Springs, Seals and any other part that is needed will be added on. The "service" includes the Labor to swap out the springs only.

Dan will replace fork seals if you send them in with your forks, ( agood Idea on any fork with more then a full season on them)

·
Registered
148 Posts
sp2pilot said:
Dan has done more RC forks then all the other suspension tuners in the United States combined. There is a reason, he knows what he is doing.

Dan has been doing the same basic service for the RC forks and there are thousands of satisfied clients running around.

His service includes but is not limited to a replacement of the cartridge, anew spacer, a replacement of the stack, a respring, a micro polish of the sliders, and of course a replacement of oil. His turn around is under a week and in many cases (all of my customers that I hand carry in to the shop) Dan will do the work while I wait. (as long as I help out and stay out of his way)

Dan did not just do suspension for a couple teams that run AMA. Dan was voted AMA crewchief of the year ,...twice. He has the credentials to back up his status in the game.
Opinions vary as far as Dan's work:
1) For starters my forks took over a month until I got them back.
2) I specifically talk to Dan concerning the shocks bottoming out under heavy braking and he stated that his work would take care of this. After I received the forks there was no improvement, same problem. I contacted him once again and he suggested stiffer springs, even though they were the correct rate for my weight. Not pleased with his suggestion I eneded up having to progressively increase the fork oil level in order to resolved the problem.

This was my experience with Dan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dhdrider said:
I'm not sure what you're budget is, but I used a guy down here in Texas. He also does suspension for the Safety First AMA Superbike team. In his opinion, the Showa forks just need to be re-worked and re-sprung (if neccessary). He prefers to re-work/modify the stock valves over race-techs gold valves. He does the following service which is way better value over DK's re-work. If you don't need new springs, it's even cheaper.

Basic Fork Re-valve (Sport Package) ($295.00-$375.00) – This is an extraordinary value for the track day OR budget minded racer. It includes a full service as well as modifications to the stock shim stack on the rebound and compression units as well as NEW Traxxion Dynamics racing competition springs. (Includes fork oil, shim parts, and forks off motorcycle, and oil change/service)

I can vouch for their work as well. Quality work.

·
Registered
429 Posts
No point in replacing the springs if they're right. Racetech springs are not progressive. Progressive springs are not a particular advantage.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Anybody use LE Engineering for fork work?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

WHAT EXACTLY DO they do when they re-work the original valves??Hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
220 Posts
Race Tech has done my forks on my 02 and 04 RC51. Very happy with the work they did. On both bikes gold valves were installed with new top out springs. Huge difference in feed back compared to stock. The 04 has Ohlins rear shock also. Between race tech forks and ohlins rear shock it's not the same bike as stock. Front feed back is very good. Paid 617 for Race tech to do the forks. It hurt when I paid them but after riding the bike it was well worth it.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
WHAT EXACTLY DO they do when they re-work the original valves??Hmmmmmmm
They rearrange the shim stack or replace the shims to adjust for oil flow characteristics. They do a similar job as Gold Valves and when I got mine done 2K Motorsports told me I would not benefit from Gold Valves for my mainly street ridden motorcycle. He said I would be throwing money away by buying gold valves.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What I really want to know for those like DK or others out there that states RE-VALVE(NOT CHANGING to OHLINS or Racetechs) what exactly do they do?

I would assumed they change the shim stack around or replace them. But do they just chucked the old valve and replace them with others??

hmmmm...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts