Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do valve adjustment in the near future. The factory manual says to reuse the valve cover gaskets and use some sealer. The bike does not leak at all and I want to keep it that way. but I am figuring that these rubber gaskets are almost 10 years old. Should I just replace them due to age or inspect hem and reuse? Also I looks like there are a few O ring type gaskets that the manual says to replace. Anything else I should be replacing during a valve adjustment.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I've gotten away with reusing before, but i always knew in the back of my mind there is a slight chance i may have to pull them back off and replace em. It would be a good idea to at least have the gaskets in hand before doing the job. Once you have everything off then you can make the call whether to take that chance and reuse or simply replace.
The thing about the gaskets is they are getting up there in years. Once you pull off the tension there is a chance cracks can reveal themselves, you realized they are squished beyond taking a chance, something may get buggered up when taking off the covers, or the gaskets could not go back on the cover exactly like they should once they are taken off the bike(fuel pump gaskets are notorious for this).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I re-used mine several times and it was okay. The last time was not okay and I had to replace them. Once they get stiff/hard you are asking for trouble. Make sure you use a suitable sealant on the half moons.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I self-performed my valve clearance checks last year and did not change any gaskets. The looked fine to me. No problems/leaks so far.

BTW, my RC is a 2000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.