Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys. I think my powder caoter screwed up my rear wheel, and I need some help fixing it.

I left specific instructions about taping off the area where the axle nut contacts the wheel. He didn't listen to me very well. What he did was powder coat the ENTIRE wheel, then grind the powder coat off of the area where the axle contact the wheel. So, now I have bare magnesium there, and I need to get this fixed before it carrodes. I really am not too familiar with magnesium, and I don't know how long it takes before it start carroding.

Can someone please give me instructions on how to protect the finish in that area, what products to use and where to get the products?

Thanks in advance!
Nick

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Repairing Magnesium... (n737nc)

Self etching primer worked well for mine, no more corrosion since then. Don't wash the bike with water........

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n737nc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...then grind the powder coat off of the area where the axle contact the wheel...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you may have more worries than bare magnesium. you better make sure that area still mates up with the axle PERFECTLY or you could have issues.

assuming the rim isn't jacked up and IF you still trust him, take it back and have him do it right or get your money back and take it to someone that knows how to tape and powdercoat properly. there's no way i'd "settle" for that!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Repairing Magnesium... (TK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TK »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Self etching primer worked well for mine, no more corrosion since then. Don't wash the bike with water........</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can I just used the stuff out of a rattle can, or should I take it to a professional painter, and have them use something else? It's such a small area, I would be tempted to just use the rattle can stuff.

And there really wasn't any metal removed. Just taken down to bare metal, thats all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I was a flight engineer on a helicopter that had many magnesium components and the most reliable anti corrosion coating is zinc cromate...i am unsure if you could find this paint at your local hardware store...if you have access to a small airport go see a mechanic there...they should be able to hook you up !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (n737nc)

totally welcome...make sure the part is super clean before you spray the zinc chromate...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts