Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 996 and recently it started leaking oil from the oil cooler (Im still not sure why, perhaps age got to it). To buy a new one would cost upwards around $300.00, but to fix it (according to my local radiator shop) will cost me around $65.00.

Basically i just want to know if anyone repaired the oil cooler rather than replacing it and how it has held up for them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (Loosecannon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loosecannon »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$65 sounds pretty good to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me too, it's just a radiator and if they braze the thing it should be good as new, I wouldn't waste the money on a new one. If they fix it right, it could end up stronger than the original.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah that's what I said too. It's currently getting welded up right now at the local radiator shop.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (itsamemz)

Well, after having it welded and remounted...Ive learned that I was better off buying a new one from the beginning! I took it for a ride and got stranded on the highway when I noticed a large amount of oil spewing out from the oil cooler in a new spot! I consider myself lucky that I noticed it when I did as I was about to exit the highway and onto some local twisties and who knows what would have happened with all that oil all over my rear tire.

Now Im back to where I started...if anyone has an oil cooler that they want to get rid of, Im ready and willing. Also, I found someone who has an oil cooler from a 748...would that fit my 996? According to the seller, he's already tried selling it to a 996 owner who said that it did not fit...I personally thought it would.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, an oil cooler from a 748 will fit. I had a leak in mine, when actually it was the fitting that leaked. I replaced the hose and it worked fine. Always check ebay my friend.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (pdxoutlaw)

748's didn't come with oil coolers. We all bought the 996/8 one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I repaired the one I have and no problems

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it sounds like the shop you took it to didn't do very good work (or it was a botched install...sorry).

i had mine repaired (the one that came on my 748
) for less than $30 and it works like a champ. i'd either take it back or take it to someone else cause you shouldn't have a problem fixing it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (chiromikey)

yeah Im gonna try another shop. Ive been trying to buy a used one but can't find one at a reasonable price...ebay has one right now for $225.00 Im not that desperate....yet.

Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you guys..thanks for the assurance!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (itsamemz)

so what is keeping you from taking it back to that shop and being a little,....um....well nice first...then a little animated? I realize that many Duc owners come from slightly different worlds than, maybe where you where getting work done. But still, put your balls out front. Sometimes it means free, or what should have been the first time!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (throttlehead)

Throttlehead, I did take it back after I had my first leak. I was pissed, but didn't show it to them (hell, I spent half the day stranded on the highway). I simply stated that it needed to be welded better and explained the importance of doing a good job for my life's sake.

Well, according to the welder, the metal was too weak in that certain area. Whenever they welded one leak another would sprout from the pressure test which they perform. I got my money back and left...there's no point on pushing them to do it, no they've got a reason to do a crappy job.

Any of you guys from Cleveland and know a reputable person to fix my oil cooler and get me back on my bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts