Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever done this? I need to take both lowers off in order to get the stanchions rechromed. They are badly pitted.

There is no mention in the shop manual on how to do this. On my rvf400 there is a grub screw holding the lower on then you have to heat it lightly to break the seal and the whole stanchion just unthreads out of the fork lower.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Well, some folks aren't aware of the fact that the damper is anchored through the bottom of the fork tube. So before one start to tackle a disassemble that would be a good piece of info(bolt at the bottom of the fork foot) to be aware of.
As for separating the lower tube from the fork foot its pretty basic. Double check for a pinch/stop/grub screw but i don't recall seeing them on the RC forks. You'll want to have a vise handy and a torch. Cinch it real well into the vise. Heat up the fork foot around where the threads are, and once good and hot try rotating the lower tube counter clockwise. Its going to be super tough to get started, and may even be much more compounded due to the bad condition you say the tubes are in. Hearing the word pitted makes me think they been put through the wringer thus there is a good chance the lowers are galled into the feet. The lower tube will be quite hot from the heat transfer so you'll obviously want to prepare for that somehow. Quite honestly it seems like it may be much more trouble than its worth because i don't see much hope in backing out the tubes without some form of tool made to assist in such a repair. I've backed out Ohlins lowers with thick leather straps(kind of like you'd use a leather belt to unscrew an oil filter if in a pinch and no other tools are around) but they didn't need heat and from what i hear aren't going to be near as hard as backing out an oem tube.

Can't imagine the re-chroming is going to be cheap. They'll need to strip the tubes down and repolish them anyways. Maybe you can leave the lowers and feet attached and see if they can just do the tubes....or maybe you can deal with chromed feet. They may be able to do black chrome. Speaking of coatings i'm thinking maybe DLC coating is going to run about the same. Should the pricing be relatively the same you'd want to seriously consider it. If you go that route you should be able to leave everything together and will get back some nice flashy deep black feet and tubes. Then again....just how much is all this going to cost?

This may be a good time to switch over to some 1krr forks. Not sure about over there, but here they are fairly priced. 200-300usd for a set is about average. Of course you'll get new spacers & bearings for the rim however the conversion isn't all that difficult. Obviously you'll go to the radial brake set up so radial calipers will be needed.

You could see if anybody has some RC forks with the caps all rashed to hell. Or i guess any RC fork set would work as long as the lowers are good. If you go to the US ebay site i think there is a fella selling a set of lowers right now for cheap. If you use 'rc fork' or 'rc fork lowers' the auction should pop up. Other fork lowers may work, but without having their dimensions and thread pitch readily available its just a crap shoot. Honestly i would even bother with a re-chrome if i had to tear apart the lower tube from the foot. Once you got them separated you may as well just put on some good lower tubes and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Speaking of coatings i'm thinking maybe DLC coating is going to run about the same.
Do you have a source where I can get mine DLCed? All I ever hear is send them to Race Tech or some other susp company (just adding more cost with a middle man). I would like to deal straight with a company who can do the DLC themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Here you go......you can start the search here.

Google

Keep in mind there are a large number of PVD coatings to choose from. I mentioned DLC because its supposed to be a great application here, but if you want the pretty gold TiN coating you could get that too, as well as many other finishes to pick from. Here is a link to show a basic run down of substrate properties.

Eclat Industries Inc. :: Products Index

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, clear up some space in your PM box. Got some suggestions you may want to try.
Thanks for the reply, there dosnt seem to be many folk around that have attempted this before, so I appreciate the response. I hear what your saying about the cost of this repair, but if at all possible Id like to keep the forks original.

In the UK there are a number of companies that perform whats called Hard Chrome Plating, which basically involves grinding the old chrome off the tubes (which is crap grade to begin with) apply a copper to the surface (which the new chrome adheres to better) then apply the new chrome quite thick, and then its machined down to the correct thickness. This process costs about £135.00 about $200 USD (with the tubes dismantled down to the bare minimum) and because of the machining the lowers have to be removed.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Here you go......you can start the search here.

Google

Keep in mind there are a large number of PVD coatings to choose from. I mentioned DLC because its supposed to be a great application here, but if you want the pretty gold TiN coating you could get that too, as well as many other finishes to pick from. Here is a link to show a basic run down of substrate properties.

Eclat Industries Inc. :: Products Index
Not worried about the color. I want DLC for the hardness, smooth action the forks have and how long it lasts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.