Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a "spirited" highway ride of over 45 minutes, I think I developed a flat area down the center of my Pilot Power "race" tires. The speeds of this spirited trip were in excess of the posted speed limits (please no more scolding necessary!) for a longer period of time than I had expected. When I entered back into the back road portion of this trip, I noticed the rear would "step-out" when leaning into a turn, similiar to when you have a rear flat.

My question: Has anyone experienced this before? Can I simply round-off the tire by sticking to the back roads for a while until the outsides of the tire are worn down to match the center or should i just consider the tire trashed and buy a new one? Finally, could this be a sign of some other more serious problem I am over-looking?? I recently had a low-side on her right side (less than 20mph). Nothing to serious, just cosmetic (fairings, sato rearset (bent), exhaust can and mid-pipe, all scratched), I hope. Could I have tweaked the anything in the rear of this bike? (Swingarm?) Is there something I should check, specifically?
Thanks for all the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the flat spot down the center of the tire would cause the tire to step out. It may force you to put a little bit of effort to 'switch' it due to the wider profile. Just a wild guess though.

Was the stepping out consistent on both right and left hand turns? What was your tire pressure that day? Maybe you were just going too fast and too low and found the limits of the tires grips?

How old are the tires? Any track days on them? Heat cycles? Was the old man at the gas station courteous? All these variables must be taken into consideration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Hams51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hams51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think the flat spot down the center of the tire would cause the tire to step out. It may force you to put a little bit of effort to 'switch' it due to the wider profile. Just a wild guess though.

Was the stepping out consistent on both right and left hand turns? What was your tire pressure that day? Maybe you were just going too fast and too low and found the limits of the tires grips?

How old are the tires? Any track days on them? Heat cycles? Was the old man at the gas station courteous? All these variables must be taken into consideration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It could be the switching from side to side. I was consistant on both sides. No i was not too fast or too low. I had the same sensation as if the rear was flat. You know how the rear-end seems to move around when the tire is flat? That's the same sensation i am feeling when i begin a turn. Once in the turn, the sensation goes away....so far. The tire pressure was fine and consistent. The tire is almost brand new and no track days or many hot cycles for that matter. This was the first real hard day for the tire since i purchased it earlier this month. Sorry, i have no information about the service station guy.

Thanks for the help, so far.

LDH??? I need to take a picture of a tire with a center flat section? Visualization is a difficult concept for you? Try visualizing the above with a really hot chick holding the tire......does that help??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo yo Jhuff.... I had a similar sensation after ripping the 125mi out to Lebanon from my place, and hitting the twisties. Id assumed it was just transitioning from the flat spot, over the newly created edge on the flat spot, into the still curved section. It'd feel almost like a small slide as I entered the turn, and then its be rock solid again. It felt like that for about half the day, then after all that hard ridding she evened back out and everything felt fine again.
Speaking of my bike...did u get my U2U on TSR? and my comment on the Lawn FD thread ?

And secondly.....arent you so glad I introduced you to TSR? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm. Maybe your suspension got a little out of wack. Ride it out a little more though and see if it still persists.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Hams51)

I've run into this problem with certain roads only to find that the certain roads were grooved or uneven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts