Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some work on the bike and the two holes in the cowl that the clips go through to secure it to the fender. I had one break. Has anyone had this happen and how did you fix it without getting a new seat cowl?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know exactly what you mean, did the threaded stud snap off?
If so, I would get a nice two part glue to chemical bond it to the plastic and then use 1/2" course thread screws to remount it to the plastic, you will have to drill the metal to place the screws into...

I'd use thread lock on those as well, they do make some serously strong glues, make sure that you search around before trying "anything"

A picture would help if you got a digital camera...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, I see what you are talking about now!

Time to fabricate, get some sheet metal and make a reinforcement piece, then glue it the the back side of the cowl, the glue the broken off piece to the sheet metal for looks!

If the glue is strong enough, it will work...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (cutter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cutter »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ahh, I see what you are talking about now!

Time to fabricate, get some sheet metal and make a reinforcement piece, then glue it the the back side of the cowl, the glue the broken off piece to the sheet metal for looks!

If the glue is strong enough, it will work...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would also drill through the sheet metal and plastic and glue, and pop rivet the whole thing together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lil bit of JB weld or one of the plastic-weld products would work nicely.

I agree with Cutter. Make a small reinforcing plate for that area out of some thin sheet metal, and then JB the plastic ear to it, and voila ! stronger than new

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Ozone)

Mission Accomplished. Used some plastic weld an cut a piece of T3 aluminum for a bracket. I used thread lock on my dussault undertail to keep the two bolts from coming out. One side didn't work and the other did. I would up breaking the one side piece off the seat cowl. I was trying to make an exhaust bracket out of the aluminum to get rid of the crappy stock pieces. Anyone got any ideas on that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (cutter)

I scraped the whole project. So I have this sheet of 12'x4' aluminum and nothing to do with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts