Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got tired of taking my tail section off and switching from high mount to low mount in order to give my girl a ride.

I know, the RC wasn't built for two.... but here we go....

First photo, everything installed.
Second photo, footpegs removed (two bolts per side, takes 5 mins)
Third photo, lower bracket removed from bike (two bolts per side, takes 5 mins)
Fourth photo, lower bracket itself.

The black piece with the holes in it is the bracket for my exhaust and does not change anything regarding installation.

The upper bracket stays under the tail section unless you need to remove it for some reason.

There are several reasons to do this mod. If you never ride two up obviously there is no reason to do it.

1st - The ability to run passenger pegs with high mounts.
2nd - Tail section does not have to be removed to install or remove rear pegs. If you have low mount pipes with aftermarket muffler hangers that eliminate the rear pegs this would also be a nice mod for you.
3rd - My girl loves the new position of the pegs.

Intall is simple and is easy to reverse. The only permanent mod is the removal of the muffler hanger loop from the rear peg bracket which is pretty easy with some basic tools. The rear pegs are swapped side to side, so if you don't cut off the loop it faces forward and gets in the way. It also looks like crap.

·
Large member
75 Posts
Will that kit work with Sato Banzai's? If so, where can I get that set up & how much?

Tiny

·
Behind In His Steering...
437 Posts
Interesting product, and thanks for the pillion pics. I ride my galpal on my VFR all the time (including Dragon-area twisties), but would kinda like to be able to occasionally scoot her around on the RC without swapping the "now perfectly aligned" Jardines for the OEM cans. So, I'm interested in these brackets.

But galpal might NOT be from the looks of your pics! Still, the whole idea is very cool.

Anyhoo, even after looking at the RC51Parts website,I'm wondering on the details of how they attach to the subframe (they don't explain it, and their pic is lousy). I guess they MUST use the existing exhaust hanger/peg boltholes in the subframe, huh? What are the two silvery looking parts in the website photo? Can you describe where/how, or maybe give us a better pic showing how these parts attach? I'm sure it's sheeot-simple, but I'm curious how it goes together, and if anything will interfere with my Penske reservoir (as it's currently mounted behind the behind the left-side exhaust bracket). Lotsa questions to answer, I know.....:eek:

Or do I hafta ride over to Tampa to look at yours? :woot:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Buy a car ..., or get her her own bike. Not a fan of taking passengers.

No guy is taking my daughter on the back of his bike, I'll simply be telling him to come back in a car or don't bother.
Pete

·
437 Posts

No guy is taking my daughter on the back of his bike, I'll simply be telling him to come back in a car or don't bother.
Pete
What the foook are you talking about, Dad? I'm not a fan of you owning motorcycles (but, no RC51, apparently) so go sell them! If Tampa wants to ride his daughter or his wife on his bike....that's not your concern.

I'm thinking that, at 54, my girlfriend and I can decide if we're taking a car or a motorcycle. Your contribution to this thread is useless.

"Grumpy Kiwi" indeed! :wtf Sheeesh....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks bro!!! looks kinda uncomfortable... and dismount looks like it has burn potential... does it?

thanks again bro.
She likes the position better than the stock position. The front seat on an RC is not considered comfy, can't expect the rear to be. If I were on the bike with her it would look a little better.

As far as burn potential, I would not suggest shorts or a skirt. She rubs her leg on the can when getting off but it isn't so bad as to burn her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting product, and thanks for the pillion pics. I ride my galpal on my VFR all the time (including Dragon-area twisties), but would kinda like to be able to occasionally scoot her around on the RC without swapping the "now perfectly aligned" Jardines for the OEM cans. So, I'm interested in these brackets.

But galpal might NOT be from the looks of your pics! Still, the whole idea is very cool.

Anyhoo, even after looking at the RC51Parts website,I'm wondering on the details of how they attach to the subframe (they don't explain it, and their pic is lousy). I guess they MUST use the existing exhaust hanger/peg boltholes in the subframe, huh? What are the two silvery looking parts in the website photo? Can you describe where/how, or maybe give us a better pic showing how these parts attach? I'm sure it's sheeot-simple, but I'm curious how it goes together, and if anything will interfere with my Penske reservoir (as it's currently mounted behind the behind the left-side exhaust bracket). Lotsa questions to answer, I know.....:eek:

Or do I hafta ride over to Tampa to look at yours? :woot:
The top bracket (the straight bracket that looks like a big lego) mounts to the same point the stock pegs mount to. Then the lower bracket in my photo mounts to the big lego bracket. The brackets even come with the correct bolts. You re-use your stock rear peg bolts to attach them to the new brackets.

The part that looks silver in the photo is actually black, the glare makes them look silver. That is the upper bracket.

It is very simple. Next time I take the tail section off I will take more photos.

It may mess with your Penske reservoir, not sure. You can see in the photo where my Penske reservoir is mounted and it is okay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Pete
To each his own....

But the reward I get after giving her a ride on the RC pays for those $150 brackets every time. The bonus is I don't have to switch pipes anymore to get that reward.

I am 30 and she is 34.... her Dad realizes she is no little girl and can do what she wants.

Thanks for your concern though!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
i bought mine from a guy on this site who made them a few years ago. I run sato banzis on an SP1 with an SP2 swing arm. My right side rubbed at the bend, but some slight machining its good to go. Ive never seen anyone else with this fitment issue fwiw.

·
437 Posts
The top bracket (the straight bracket that looks like a big lego) mounts to the same point the stock pegs mount to. Then the lower bracket in my photo mounts to the big lego bracket.

Next time I take the tail section off I will take more photos.
So....at the subframe holes you have the Jardine mount AND the upper bracket bolted in place. Then the lower bracket mounts to separate holes in the upper bracket....right? And I guess the upper bracket kinda spaces the lower bracket outwards on each side somewhat?

As for more photos, you won't be taking the tail section off anymore now that you have these gizmos! :banghead

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So....at the subframe holes you have the Jardine mount AND the upper bracket bolted in place. Then the lower bracket mounts to separate holes in the upper bracket....right? And I guess the upper bracket kinda spaces the lower bracket outwards on each side somewhat?

As for more photos, you won't be taking the tail section off anymore now that you have these gizmos! :banghead
Exactly. The upper bracket puts about a 1/4" space between the lower bracket and the Jardine bracket which reduces or eliminates contact and scratches.

You are right... the idea behind the brackets is also to keep me from removing the tail section, although I have become quite good at it.

Cheer up, I have new stainless lines coming which will require bleeding which will require rear brake reservoir access. :p

·
437 Posts
Exactly. The upper bracket puts about a 1/4" space between the lower bracket and the Jardine bracket which reduces or eliminates contact and scratches.
But the lower bracked doesn't use the subframe holes at all, and somehow bolts to the upper bracket....right? See, the pics of the lower bracket only show the two holes for the peg sets...and the horrible microscopic photo on the RC51parts site doesn't make it clear at all as to what's going on.

Anyway, I believe ya and am considering getting a set. But I'd love to see those pics once the tail is removed. And speaking of removing the tail....it's swapping out to the OEM exhaust (so you can use the OEM pegs) that would be the big PITA, I thinking. Tail removal is 45 seconds!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.