Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2011-ktm-1190-rc8-price-msrp-reduced/

Price reduced to $16,499.

If you recall the standard RC8 was around 20 grand when it first came out, then dropped to $16k when the RC8R came out last year for $20k. Now the RC8 has been dropped altogether and the RC8R price dropped to $16.5k.

Stinks for buyers last year. Not unlike 2008 when Ducati had the 999 for $18k, then the 1098 came out for $15k. 999 prices took a huge hit.

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
The best deal I ever heard of was last year when dealers were blowing out leftover 2008 Honda CBR 1000's for under $7,000!
:eek:

And yes, I bought one of them...:D

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO the KTM twins have always been overpriced, maybe KTM is just adjusting MSRP to what it takes to actually sell them.

The 2006 950SM was $13k originally. I'd love one of those ugly things but it should have been $10.5k or so. Superduke was $14k, while $11-12k would have probably been a better price to actually sell tons of them.

The RC8 is a neat-looking bike, but $20k for it originally was way too high. Should have been more like Aprilia Mille pricing of $14k. The RC8R certainly competes with the Ducati 1198 and Aprilia RSV4, makes sense to price it the same as those base models, as apparently the RC8R is now the only superbike model they plan to sell.

At least until some sort of RC8-RR comes out with more power, ABS, quick-shifter, active suspension, launch and wheelie control, and other goodies with an MSRP back near twenty grand.

Cheapest new RC8R on cycletrader at the moment is $14k. That could be a good buy to have big twin horsepower and be different than every Ducati rider out there.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
they ditched some of the more expensive touches that the 2010 model had... you don't get the forged marchis, you don't get the nice billet triple, you don't get the nice carbon fender and you don't get the black coated stanchions on the forks... and almost all the extra horsepower the bike makes comes from the map they put in it... so you're not really getting more for less, you're getting less for less.... still a nice bike though, lovely paint.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
You hate to see that but I was afraid this would happen when KTM choose to
market a V2 over their MotoGp V4... like no one has been able to out V2 Ducati
since 2004 and it's just daff to try it today... $16,449 for a V2 still makes buyers
pause whereas $16,449 for a MotoGp inspired V4 would be considered a steal...

Not street ready but what a base to start from...

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if the Race Spec will be a special-order from the dealer, or if a few will be on the showroom floor. I cannot imagine they could sell that many in the US with it not being street legal. I would be surprised if 50 people spent the money on one this year.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I wonder if the Race Spec will be a special-order from the dealer, or if a few will be on the showroom floor. I cannot imagine they could sell that many in the US with it not being street legal. I would be surprised if 50 people spent the money on one this year.

my roomate just put a deposit on one... 22.5k CAD... if you go through the powerparts catalog the track has over 14 grand in kit on it, which is pretty impressive for the 22.5k pricetag.

·
Banned
929 Posts
Doesn't look good for the company.

Price reductions are a sure sign of a company bleeding $$$$$.
Looks good for me because now I will seriously consider one for the colection.

The best deal I ever heard of was last year when dealers were blowing out leftover 2008 Honda CBR 1000's for under $7,000!
:eek:

And yes, I bought one of them...:D
I bought one to. Couldn't pass the deal up.

IMO the KTM twins have always been overpriced, maybe KTM is just adjusting MSRP to what it takes to actually sell them.

The 2006 950SM was $13k originally. I'd love one of those ugly things but it should have been $10.5k or so. Superduke was $14k, while $11-12k would have probably been a better price to actually sell tons of them.

The RC8 is a neat-looking bike, but $20k for it originally was way too high. Should have been more like Aprilia Mille pricing of $14k. The RC8R certainly competes with the Ducati 1198 and Aprilia RSV4, makes sense to price it the same as those base models, as apparently the RC8R is now the only superbike model they plan to sell.

At least until some sort of RC8-RR comes out with more power, ABS, quick-shifter, active suspension, launch and wheelie control, and other goodies with an MSRP back near twenty grand.

Cheapest new RC8R on cycletrader at the moment is $14k. That could be a good buy to have big twin horsepower and be different than every Ducati rider out there.
Actually in comparison tests the RSV4 destroyed it. No competition whatsoever.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It competes in the marketplace. The same guy who shops for an RSV4 shops for an RC8 shops for an 1198. All of these bikes are so fast that for anyone to push them on the street is reckless anyway. I have had 2 Ducatis, but the 1198 is sort of "meh" for me. The RSV4 is super cool but I would worry about reliability. The KTM would get a hard look from me if I wanted to spend mid-teens on a new bike.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Looks good for me because now I will seriously consider one for the colection.

I bought one to. Couldn't pass the deal up.

Actually no. :confused: No idea what comparison tests you're reading but motorcycle.com and motorcycle-usa, who imo are certainly one of the most thorough testers - doing both street and track with pros not joes, did comparison tests of the rsv4 factory and the rc8 along with all the others last season.

The rsv4 in Canada sells for comparable money and there were tenths of a second in it. You want to talk destroyed, talk BMW with 40 plus bhp and lower msrp...

Plus with the KTM weighing in significantly less with comparable powerr-weight numbers it beat the Aprilia in the street comparison and track comparisons at M-USA while the BMW, again, truly destroyed all comers.

Guess it depends on your definition of destroyed but for my money and my trackday abilities there's nothing in it.

2010 Superbike Smackdown VII Street FMM - Motorcycle USA

2010 Superbike Smackdown VIII Track FMM - Motorcycle USA

·
Banned
929 Posts
It competes in the marketplace. The same guy who shops for an RSV4 shops for an RC8 shops for an 1198. All of these bikes are so fast that for anyone to push them on the street is reckless anyway. I have had 2 Ducatis, but the 1198 is sort of "meh" for me. The RSV4 is super cool but I would worry about reliability. The KTM would get a hard look from me if I wanted to spend mid-teens on a new bike.
Agreed....Back in November my two choices were the RC8R or the RSV4, I chose the V4. I wouldn't buy a Duc even though I am in the market for an older one like a 996 to add to the stable.

Actually no. :confused: No idea what comparison tests you're reading but motorcycle.com and motorcycle-usa, who imo are certainly one of the most thorough testers - doing both street and track with pros not joes, did comparison tests of the rsv4 factory and the rc8 along with all the others last season.

The rsv4 in Canada sells for comparable money and there were tenths of a second in it. You want to talk destroyed, talk BMW with 40 plus bhp and lower msrp...

Plus with the KTM weighing in significantly less with comparable powerr-weight numbers it beat the Aprilia in the street comparison and track comparisons at M-USA while the BMW, again, truly destroyed all comers.

Guess it depends on your definition of destroyed but for my money and my trackday abilities there's nothing in it.

2010 Superbike Smackdown VII Street FMM - Motorcycle USA

2010 Superbike Smackdown VIII Track FMM - Motorcycle USA
Well seeing that just about every Sport Bike publication does a comparison and there are hundreds of them from all over the world I guess I missed the one you think is the most thorough of them all. And your beloved BMW may do well in the eyes of amatuers but its sucking ass out on the track. Aprilia is the champ and well KTM isn't even out there yet.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
While I cannot comment on the RC8R, I did ride the RC8 a fair bit on the street and found it be a real treat, in large part thanks to its (adjustable) ergonomics which allow you to ride in positions other than a full racing crouch (great for the track or for posers, terrible for the real world).....

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Well seeing that just about every Sport Bike publication does a comparison and there are hundreds of them from all over the world I guess I missed the one you think is the most thorough of them all. And your beloved BMW may do well in the eyes of amatuers but its sucking ass out on the track. Aprilia is the champ and well KTM isn't even out there yet.
Man, just admit you made a mistake or start quoting magazine articles. :rolleyes:

Beloved BMW:confused: , must be trying to get a rise out of me I guess;) . Nope, I've just stated what just about every magazine on the planet has said about the BMW. I know one or two chose the Aprilia but lets be honest about it - the majority favour the BMW and it is bike of the year, Max Biaggi's success aside. 190 bhp v. 150 bhp, better dealer support, no engine recalls, lower msrp, TC... Also I've stated a long ago that I would likely buy something else besides the S1000RR, the RSV4 and RC8 being two of those ideal models along with the HP2 Sport, because I prefer those to I4 and also because I cannot use 190 bhp on the road or track.

Beloved BMW, man that's a good one:D , if anything I've owned more Kawasaki's (7), Hondas (12), Yamahas (4) and Suzukis (8-9) than BMWs (2). Nice try to egg me on though. :cool:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.