Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background first. I owned both an 03 RC51 and an 03 VFR at the same time and because I commute to work I ultimately kept the VFR because it was way more comfortable to commute on. My commuting days are over now and I am SERIOUSLY thinking of going back to the RC51 and ditching the VFR. My RC was stock except for Two Bros. pipes and -1tooth front sprocket. The thing that bothered me most about the RC51 was lack of low rpm smoothness and ability to ride it thru slow speed tight corners (switchbacks) without clutching. ( I know, I know, grab another gear and use some rpms).

My question is, Is the slow speed/low rpm condition my RC had just part of owning a twin? Or can that condition be smoothed out by a powercommander and a custom map?

I really loved the RC51, but I find alot of my spirited riding is 2 lane paved forest service roads with lots of switchbacks and I was able to ride the VFR faster and smoother thru tight transitions because of the smoothness of the V4.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
A little background first. I owned both an 03 RC51 and an 03 VFR at the same time and because I commute to work I ultimately kept the VFR because it was way more comfortable to commute on. My commuting days are over now and I am SERIOUSLY thinking of going back to the RC51 and ditching the VFR. My RC was stock except for Two Bros. pipes and -1tooth front sprocket. The thing that bothered me most about the RC51 was lack of low rpm smoothness and ability to ride it thru slow speed tight corners (switchbacks) without clutching. ( I know, I know, grab another gear and use some rpms).

My question is, Is the slow speed/low rpm condition my RC had just part of owning a twin? Or can that condition be smoothed out by a powercommander and a custom map?

I really loved the RC51, but I find alot of my spirited riding is 2 lane paved forest service roads with lots of switchbacks and I was able to ride the VFR faster and smoother thru tight transitions because of the smoothness of the V4.

Just a Quick comment about Your Question... YES! Please install a Powder Commander ASAP! It will smooth out Your RC51'S Low End problems!...
FYI & FWIW when You've got the OEM exhaust Installed and it's already too lean... so by You installing Slip-Ons without a Powder Commander, You have just Magnified Your Low End Problems!

Get yourself some after market Clip-Ons as well, normal differance is they are approx. 0.5" to 0.750" higher then OEM.;) (I THINK)

Peace Jeff

·
Meat Head
79 Posts
Having my bike tuned got rid of all of the low end problems with my bike, alot smoother and enjoyable at low speeds, you can actually lug it now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree, a PC3 will clear things up down low. It will not be perfect, but close. The big pistons in the RC51, like to have some velocity to them. What happens is the force to compress the gas/air mixture is greater than the inertia of the piston and it will misfire/stumble.

So... when you can use the clutch or keep the Rev's up.

·
Behind In His Steering...
437 Posts
I've remapped with a PCII and have excellent driveability in the very tight stuff in the Dragon (NC) area, but I also think that because I'm using 15/43 gearing [vs. 16/40 stock] it just puts the motor in its "happy place" nearly all the time. Lugging is not an issue with this tractor gearing, and the bike still can go 156mph (based on carefully calibrated SpeedoHealer at 11.5%), which is fast enough for me.

And I also have a VFR which I love, but I find that even with my RaceTech forks, Penske and PPower rubber on that sweet bike the RC just feels so much more nimble and steady in the violent switchback twisties of the Smokey Mountains.

·
Meat Head
79 Posts
I've remapped and have excellent driveability in the very tight stuff in the Dragon (NC) area, but I also think that because I'm using 15/43 gearing [vs. 16/40 stock] it just puts the motor in its "happy place" nearly all the time. Lugging is not an issue with this tractor gearing, and the bike still can go 156mph (based on carefully calibrated SpeedoHealer at 11.5%), which is fast enough for me.

And I also have a VFR which I love, but I find that even with my RaceTech forks, Penske and PPower rubber on that sweet bike the RC just feels so much more nimble and steady in the violent switchback twisties of the Smokey Mountains.

I did 15/42, I was thinking of doing a 43, have you ever run the 42? How much different is it?

·
Silverback
307 Posts
I agree with all of the above. For me changing the gearing really smoothed out the bottom end(-1,+3). And the pull to the top is fast and strong:D! I'm also a lazy ass and just running a Sato map w/my Yosh pipes and that helped a bunch too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I'm hearing from the replies makes me feel a whole lot better. It was such a fun bike. I remember trying to keep a low profile thru town was difficult as well since my bike did not like to be below 3,000 rpms. It would be nice to be able to lug it a little thru town and not wake the neighbors.

Thanks for all your replies!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.