Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey '51 riders, I've popped my head in the door to ask about the Honda brake caliper mounting bolts.

I am installing an RC51 front end on my '99 VFR800 and I ordered some caliper bracket mounting bolts from my local Honda dealer as they were about the only thing I didn't get off EBAY.

The part number is: 90101-MCF-000
Description: BOLT, TORX (10X25)

So, they are a 10x25mm bolt with a 1.25mm thread pitch

The problem I have is upon mounting the brackets, the bolts seem to be way too short. They only thread into the fork leg about 5mm. Measuring the mounting bracket and the fork leg sandwiched together as they are when installed, there is enough room for a 35mm long bolt without protruding out the backside of the fork leg caliper mounting bracket threads at all.

I've sourced 4 M10x1.25x35mm cad plated hex head bolts (couldn't locate any Allen bolts), in grade 8.8, and installed them temporarily, but I'm hesitant to proceed without checking further into this and finding out if the Honda bolts are indeed the correct length or not. Also, I think I should have grade 10.9 in this application if I'm going to use non-Honda fasteners.

The ones I ordered from Honda with the above part number are item #26 on the following page: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0387/front_fork/front_fork.cfm

Can anyone confirm if these are correct and why the heck do they only thread into the fork like 5mm when there's 15mm thread depth available? Maybe my brackets and fork legs are from different model years? The forks are '04 vintage but I have no idea of the brackets year.

Help a brother out? They sure seem short in this application, at least to my eye.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sp2pilot said:
shoot me a mailing address and I will send you the bolts you need
Wow, now that's mighty nice of you. Just to confirm, what is the length of the bolts you have, not including the head?

Just want to be sure to avoid mailing something that's the same as what I already have.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry SP2pilot, I never heard back from you.....

Anyhow, I finally found a place online that will sell me the bolts I'm looking for.
Geez they're tough to source in a fine thread!

I managed to round up some grade 12.9 Allen head bolts in an M10x35x1.25 size. They should be good for anything I can toss at them. Grade 12.9 is top of the heap for steel bolts. Gotta go for Ti at 4x the price if you want anything better.

Looked closely at the OE bolts again and if I were to actually install them, there would be about 3 threads holding into the fork legs! They're 10mm too short!

I give up! At least I found something that will work and replace the grade 8.8 ones I have in there (temporarily). They may well be fine, but I ain't taking chances with brakes. Besides, the standard hex heads look like crap.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'll guess Fuller Metric.

I took a look at my fork/caliper mount, it still has the factory bolts installed. Looking at the backside of the mount there's the hole for the bolt, and around the hole it's countersunk. The bolt ends where the countersink starts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just Riding Along said:
I'll guess Fuller Metric.

I took a look at my fork/caliper mount, it still has the factory bolts installed. Looking at the backside of the mount there's the hole for the bolt, and around the hole it's countersunk. The bolt ends where the countersink starts.
I sourced them from Metric Specialties in Sunny California.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Next time keep Fuller in mind. They're on the internet and in ON, and BC. I get most of my 12.9 bolts there, the only downside is that they don't always have them plated so sometimes I need to send them out for that.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
I have your bolts and I am still waiting for your address??

I strongly suggest using the Honda bolts as they are a shouldered bolt engineered specificaly for this application.

I have them in a envelope waiting to send them out

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sp2pilot said:
I have your bolts and I am still waiting for your address??

I strongly suggest using the Honda bolts as they are a shouldered bolt engineered specificaly for this application.

I have them in a envelope waiting to send them out
Oh, sorry SP2, I was waiting for a PM with the length of the bolts. Were they 25mm shank length like the ones I have or are they longer? Last I'd heard you were going to measure them and get back to me.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
veefer800canuck said:
Oh, sorry SP2, I was waiting for a PM with the length of the bolts. Were they 25mm shank length like the ones I have or are they longer? Last I'd heard you were going to measure them and get back to me.

the total bolt length is 40.62mm the head is 10.2 mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts