Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
no. Look at the side rails in the shot from above, looks like sheetmetal, and its not even welded to the headstock

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does look flimsy from the top shot. Maybe it was for a jig, or fitment for clearances or bodywork attachment...cool piece though.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
It is tough to say. Obviously it only half complete. Who knows, it might have been partially done and they made a design change, rendering it unusable. They chucked it, somebody recognized it for what it was and kept it these years. Stranger things have happenned.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It does look flimsy from the top shot. Maybe it was for a jig, or fitment for clearances or bodywork attachment...cool piece though.

Given how wide the beams are round the steering head bearing I'd say it's one of the original 1000RR prototypes.
Obviously the final design used vacuum casting but this might have been some type of early prototype.

But I'm just guessing here.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
On collectors' websites there have been quite a few similar items on sale of late. Unfinished frames, incomplete engines... even a V5 engine with a "mock" frame attached which was probably either a unit used in stationary tests or part of Honda's aborted road-going V5 project.
Either Honda is clearing out their shed or somebody in Japan is going through all parts they are throwing in the scrap heap.
If they see some those sexy magnesium cases HRC used on the VTR1000SPW they can drop me a line... :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts