Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the market for a new street bike. I have decided it must be a twin. Torque rules the street, right? Unfortunately, wanting a twin really limits my options. So, i figure my best bet is the RC and SV.

I am an aggresive rider so I am looking for good stock ground clearance and handling, but I need something to do 1-2 days/month passanger duty. I really like the SV, but I am afraid it wont feed my corner junkie habits because of the "sport-touring" reputation. On the other hand, the RC is a 2000 bike with an 2005 price tag and has been abandoned by Honda. Also, it would suck for the Mrs. on pillion day.

So, questions:

1) Do any of you have FHE on RC vs SV?
2)Are Honda's really that reliable?
3) Will the RC handle passanger duty?
4)Does anyone know anything about when the '06's are coming out or what the revisions(lol) are for the RC's?

I really hope you guys sell me on the RC, it is such a Bad a$$ bike.

thanks so much,
chris

my last bike and the reason I am only looking at Japanese bikes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: RC vs SV, and some questions about the RC (DucGasm)

buy this one..

stripped it like this one..walla..u have an rc that look like an sv..

on a serious note..honda is a very very reliable manufacturer and although theres flaws here and there, they been evry good in attending to it..

the pasanger riding position is tiring therefore, its not that suitable for a long journey..

theres rumours saying that honda would end the rc production but rumours is rumours..who know their plans for next year..i still hoping that they countinue..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I love my RC. I don't know much about the SV, but it is way down on power in comparison. I ride 2 up often, the only problem with it is that the rear wheel is like a pivot with a 110 lb hottie on the back. So, she had better not be afraid of the smaller power wheelies if you are wanting to get into it much.
Get a left over RC 03 or 04, you can pick one up for a lot less than an 05. The only thing you are paying for is the date of manufacture and the color of the bike. With the extra money you save you can get SATO'S and a PC3usb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DucGasm »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1) Do any of you have FHE on RC vs SV?
2)Are Honda's really that reliable?
3) Will the RC handle passanger duty?
4)Does anyone know anything about when the '06's are coming out or what the revisions(lol) are for the RC's?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) I have an '02 RC-51 and an '00 SV650
2) Yeah
3) Not real well, not recommended.
4) I doubt there will be any revisions.

I'd probably get an SV1000S if I were you. The 650 won't have enough power and the 1000S should be semi-decent for two-up riding. Should be more than capable in the twisties, people race these things!

What problems did you have with the Monster? I'm thinking about getting one for my next bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have an SV650 and an RC51. i love both.

the RC is going to eat through tires and constantly going to leave a grin on your face.

the SV, when ridden by someone who can ride, is going to embarrass lesser riders and get you around town for less.

the RC is no fun for long-legged passengers.
the SV is quite a bit better.

regarding pricing, you can find leftover, leftover RCs at dealerships all day long. i know of a few that still have 03s on the floor. just look around and you'll get a great deal.

regarding handling - the stock suspension on an SV simply sucks. even if you are a moderately talented rider, the stock suspension will hold you back. mushy on both ends.

the RC is better, by a noticeable difference, but has it's shortcomings as well.

so - if you want a fun, quick bike that's less friendly for two but easier to raise hell on, get the RC.

if you want a two-up torque-y twin that's great to throw around in the twisties, get the SV.

ahhh . . . screw it. get the RC. it's so much more fun. and you're driving/paying for it vs. the passenger.

Modified by 5150 at 8:49 PM 8/14/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: RC vs SV, and some questions about the RC (5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5150 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an SV650 and an RC51. i love both.

the RC is going to eat through tires and constantly going to leave a grin on your face.

the SV, when ridden by someone you can ride, is going to embarrass lesser riders and get you around town for less.

the RC is no fun for long-legged passengers.
the SV is quite a bit better.

regarding pricing, you can find leftover, leftover RCs at dealerships all day long. i know of a few that still have 03s on the floor. just look around and you'll get a great deal.

regarding handling - the stock suspension on an SV simply sucks. even if you are a moderately talented rider, the stock suspension will hold you back. mushy on both ends.

the RC is better, by a noticeable difference, but has it's shortcomings as well.

so - if you want a fun, quick bike that's less friendly for two but easier to raise hell on, get the RC.

if you want a two-up torque-y twin that's great to throw around in the twisties, get the SV.

ahhh . . . screw it. get the RC. it's so much more fun. and you're driving/paying for it vs. the passenger.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have had both bikes, and I pretty much agree with 5150. I wish I never sold my SV, I just didn't make it out to the track as much as I hoped, so it was just sitting in the garage. I'll get another one some day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: RC vs SV, and some questions about the RC (backlash)

I've owned both as well, a sv650s and a 01' RC-51, I have less experience on the RC, but I've really enjoyed both bikes, I do with I hadn't sold the SV through, but had to when I moved to Japan because of import laws and what it would have cost me.

The SV can be a great bike performance wise, no it doesn't really compare to the RC 51 but a decent rider on an SV can really leave people behind. I had no problems keeping and and often going faster through twisties on my SV then some of my other friends on faster bikes (GSXR 750, ZX-6R, VTR 1000, etc) it all comes down to the rider.

The SV is much more comfortable, I've never ridden on the back of either bike but I've given rides on both and my passengers were much more happy on the SV.

With a little bit of suspension modification on the SV you'll have a great bike, and many people do use them for track duty so theres lots of stuff out there. Even the 650 is a fast little bike, if you are using up all the performance on that then you need to be taking yourself to the track instead of the street.

For you I'd suggest the SV, RC is a great bike as well, but the SV is probably a lot closer to what you need and its a much more road friendly bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

oh yeah, a pic of me with my SV, that bike was beautiful. It stands out really well too, so when I was riding with friends people would always make comments and notice the SV.

If I got the 1000s though that bottom peice of fairing would have to go...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have an 03 RC51. It is track-only now. When I was living in Texas, I wanted another bike for the street but didn't want the sportbike insurance bill, so I go an SV1000S. It was ok...just ok. I liked the styling and the motor was ok, but weak comapred to the RC.

Where the SV sucked was in the handling department. It looks like a sportbike but doesn't handle like one! Fast forward a year. I now live in Atlanta and the insurance rates are much better. Hence the SV is history and I now have an 04 R1 for the street...that bike ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Me on the SV at Deal's Gap....

The RC and the R1 in the driveway...

The RC at Barber...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: RC vs SV, and some questions about the RC (RRainman)

Passengers on an RC? Surely, you must be joking.

Obviously the RC is faster and more desirable but for an everyday bike the SV650 is hard to beat. Commute, race, sportride, tour, you name it. The only thing I wouldn't want to do on the naked SV is ride fast into a headwind all day.

The Suzuki build quality is fair, certainly not up to Hondas standard. It's built to a budget with no temp gauge and crap, unadjustable suspension, cheap paint. Plan on RaceTech springs and oil for the front and a Fox, Ohlins, or Penske for the rear. For sure.

I've used one for a track day and it was a hoot! It was easily as much or more fun than my RC. I felt like I could ride it much harder. Maybe I'm just too worried about binning my beloved RC.

Also, the the SV wheelies like a mutha! It's awsome, and something I absolutely won't do to my RC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (RxRC)

sorry 'bout that, its just a link to the pics section of my webpage.

I just wanted you all to see the SV in all of its glory and detail

1 - 14 of 14 Posts