Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I know I may hear biased opinions...

But how would you rate the two bikes against each other? What are each other's strengths and weaknesses? How are their braking systems and curve - performing abilities?
In one word: which one would you buy and why?
(And on a sidenote: why do they look so similar to each other - especially from front)

And the basic V2 question:
I've heard that V2 engines are capable of lifting the front very easily. (Of course I'm not thinking about the Harleys here
) Does it have any effect on acceleration from a stationary position? (Intensive acceleration means automatic front end lifting? )

Thx in advance !

P.S.
Also, please tell me about an Aprilia message board, so I can hear the other side's comments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: RC 51 vs. Aprilia RSV R and some basic V2 questions. (Boodler)

Try to get the latest Sport Rider issue. They compared 3 twins RC51, Mille, 999.

My personal opinion is the Honda would be a better deal (I'm very loyal - owned 2 CBR400RR's and a 900RR
) because of the price. The extra money that the Aprilia would cost to buy can be used to modify the honda and still have some left. But then of course if money was not an issue.... I'd buy both - and the Ducati too

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering the RSVR before I picked up the RC51 earlier this year. For me it came down to ease of service, ease of getting parts, the fact that there is a Honda dealer in just about every city so emergency maintenance on a trip would be easy, cost of maintenance, and then price of course. I have no regrets with the RC, still have a big grin on my face every time I press that start button :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well I had a short ride on the Mille "R" and have to say it's pretty nice..something I would not mind adding to the stable next to the RC. Aprilla build good stuff and reliable too.

The all stock "R" turns with less effort and seems lighter, a bit more power up higher in the power band also though not as smooth.Brakes was nice. Progressive and stronger in feel compare to our Nissin Axle mount instead of the Brembo Axle mount(sorry for the mistake earlier). Don't have much to complaint really in the performance area.

Riding position is 916 family feel. Tank in your gut , clutch pull is hard like the ducs, everthing is pretty hard and harsh compared to the RC, the whole riding position seem a duplicated of the 916 and thrown in the hard to find neutral ? Harder to shift but I also run synthetic on my RC so that might do the same for the Aprilla,I really though I was on my old duc again...which is not a good thing.

Looks? It's very cool to look at compare to the RC...kinda like a close distant cousin.

I said if the RC could have lighter wheels and better brakes along with upgraded suspension ..it would walk away from all other twins in the same comparo

Modified by 3stripes at 1:00 AM 7/23/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with the money you save you can get the RC to be a better bike IMO and get the Honda reliabilty to boot.
I rode the factory R at Fontana and liked the way it handled very much, but the engine didn't have the pull of my lightly modified RC. When the two of us rode the track, we stuck together during the sessions and was alaway able to walk away from him on the long front straight and had a clear advantage in the short back straight. In the turns I felt much more stable on the RC, rock solid (famous for it), but he Mille had a more flickable feel to it, yet not as stable, but not bad at all. The brakes were a bit bettter feel on the Mille, nothing a radial master cylinder and a set of HRC pad won't fix on the RC and probably be better then, which I don't have on my bike.
the RC is hardly a wheelie monster. It won't pop the front unless you mean to, so don't worry about that.
The ridding position on the Mile was very wrong FOR ME, it felt like I was seated on top of the bike as opossed to a part of the bike like the RC, but that's personal taste.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One factor that you have to consider is the depreciation. You can buy an RC51 for $9000 brand new. What are used ones going for? How will that change now that they have been discontinued? Have you ever tried to sell a used Aprilia? Just some things to factor in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (oljackboy)

Both the RC and Aprilia have incredible depreciation rates. I have sold a used Aprilia.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all bikes go into the dumpster the second you drive them off, regardless. It actually surprises me what some peole pay for an used RC now days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The Aprilia is a cool bike manufactured by a company that was run into the ground by monkeys posing as businessmen. They blew tons of dough on a POS MotoGP bike when they could have continued with a development program for a bike that made a lot of progress in a short time. Now the bike really has not been changed in over two years, parts are hard to get and can take forever, and dealers are disappearing faster than endangered animal species.

Yeah, the Honda hasn't changed in four years, but it's a Honda - reliable, rugged, and dealers are all over the place.

Both are good bikes - look behind the bikes, however, and you find out quick which bike will be better to own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boodler »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And the basic V2 question:
I've heard that V2 engines are capable of lifting the front very easily. (Of course I'm not thinking about the Harleys here
) Does it have any effect on acceleration from a stationary position? (Intensive acceleration means automatic front end lifting? )</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about the other v-twins mentioned but the my RC does not lift the front "easily". I don't care if it does or doesn't.

What are you gonna do with the bike? Is all out perfomance that important? Who's gonna buy a new sportbike, use 100% of it and ask for more?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I looked at other twins before getting an RC but they are more expensive, harder to service and not as reliable then the RC. I've had an 05 for a month now and I have no real complaints. It's easy to ride, fast, looks great in black and makes you grin from ear to ear when you pull the trigger. I thought the front end would lift a lot easier then it does but it's nothing to worry about at all. IMO RC is the way to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
people forget that the RC does not have the typical powerband of other twins. The RC makes a lot of its power at the top end, unlike the priller that makes it all in the mids. Wheelies and such are not an issue on the RC, probably a lot more on the Priller.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (drsus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drsus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Wheelies and such are not an issue on the RC, probably a lot more on the Priller.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOt if they put the pizza on the back and don't forget the 12 O'clock bars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sadly enough I know exactly what THAT looks like, he's lucky I didn't have a gun, or even a spoon for that matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (drsus)

you can get used 2001/2002/2003 R models for like $8000ish and they were $17,000+ when new, that is awesome, and that is why i am looking hard into one. They also come with OZ wheels and full Ohlins

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (mrgrn)

Ya, I was riding out in the middle of nowhere and there was a like new looking '02 Mille R parked at the end of a drive with a for sale sign on it. Maybe $9500. With the optional exhaust, chip and tax that had to have been over $18,000 new.

That would be alright used otherwise I'd go for the RC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts