Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I used the seach function but didn't find what I needed? If stored correctly how long will race tires still be "good" Specifically Pilot Races. I have a chance to buy some of early last years unused H2's CHEAP so I wondered if they would be worth it to buy. Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
This is not Michelin specific, but most manufacturers that I know of claim the shelf life is 5 years... Not sure I would put that to the test with race rubber, but I have used 3 year old (properly stored) DOT race tires & found them to be more than sufficient for track days, but if you are an astute rider & fast enough that it makes a difference you can tell that they start to go off little quicker than fresh rubber will.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
What is the proper way to store them? I assume that as long as they are not in extreme temps, you are good?

I have a set of slicks that at this point won't get used until next season.

·
Enormous Member
1,460 Posts
I have spoken with several people about this exact subject. The general consensus is the problem with the race tires is the "outgassing" that begins almost the instant they leave the molds. Dunlop’s are very sensitive to this with the softer compounds as well as the rains having a shelf life measured in weeks. Metzler/Pirelli also suggest use to be within 100 days or less for track day application and less then 30 days for race use.

Michelin suggest no longer then 1 year in a controlled temperature/humidity controlled storage condition. Mich also suggest limiting exposure to light.

Alex Florea.(west coast Michelin dealer) states that Michelin has no public suggestions however he is reluctant to sell tires older then 6 months beyond manufactured date.

In all cases the big issue was manner of technique used to store these tires.

I have used Metzler tires that where over a year old. In my expieriance they had very similar grip to a fresh tire but wore at a much faster rate.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Listen to what Robert said... And please send *any* race tire 6 months or older to Tommy's Glass, Salinas CA., to be disposed of properly. :woot:

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
LDH said:
Store them like wine.

keep them cool & out of direct sunlight
Sounds like sound advice.... I also wrep them up tight in a large, black (Hefty-type) plastic bag and stack them flat (to maintain roundness).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’ve had conversations about this many a time. If you’re serious about racing it’s got to be fresh, no doubt. SP2pilot is not far off the mark.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Harvey T. said:
I’ve had conversations about this many a time. If you’re serious about racing it’s got to be fresh, no doubt. SP2pilot is not far off the mark.
The fresher the better for racing. However, UNLESS you are a serious racer, a year old set of rubber will work just fine. You won't get as much use out of them as you will with new rubber but they will work just fine.

So, what do you plan on doing with them? That is THE question.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
900CR said:
Listen to what Robert said... And please send *any* race tire 6 months or older to Tommy's Glass, Salinas CA., to be disposed of properly. :woot:
Don't listen to him. He's lying. Instead send them to Race Tire Recyclers in Decatur, Georgia.....they just happen to have the same address as me and I can vouch for their honesty and integrity. PM me for the street address.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
roadkill said:
The fresher the better for racing. However, UNLESS you are a serious racer, a year old set of rubber will work just fine. You won't get as much use out of them as you will with new rubber but they will work just fine.

So, what do you plan on doing with them? That is THE question.
Trackday at Barber, I will have one more day at Gateway on my current set of H2's and I'll probably switch to the "older" set before Barber. I'd like to buy new Pilot Power Races but they are backordered on 160's for my f3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts