Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added freash gas but the bike wont run unless the choke is on.
Any idea what could be wrong.
Its a 1989 CB-1 400.
I plan on changing spark plugs next..but cant figure out what else could be wrong

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Race bike stored for 2 years will only run on choke? what co ... (kam1996)

Blocked pilot jets. Replace them, or soak them in carb cleaner, and root them out with a carb tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Race bike stored for 2 years will only run on choke? what co ... (banda)

+1 Done this many times on bikes that have not been run for years, sometimes even months depending on the gas that was used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Race bike stored for 2 years will only run on choke? what co ... (Phil 998)

Believe it or not but I have never even cleaned the carbs myself(on the 4 stroke I mean)..
Dont know if I am brave enough to do it..but I guess I have no choice..the Stealer wants 6 hours of labor to clean 4 carbs..WTF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It isn't hard.
You have had to have re-jetted the 125. Instead of the plug on the bottom of the RS carb, you just take the float bowl off (4 screws). Under there you will have access to the main and pilot jets.
Pull them and soak them in carb cleaner then blast the rest of the carb - in and out with the cleaner. Blast the jets to try to remove anything (wear eye protection).
Re-assemble.
Simple.

eddie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kam1996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the Stealer wants 6 hours of labor to clean 4 carbs..WTF
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is that with the carbs removed? It shouldn't take 6 hours if you remove the carbs yourself, and just give them the carbs alone. It will still be cheaper to clean the gum out yourself. Plus you'll walk away with more bike knowledge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (LDH)

LDH:

Thank you for the offer...
SP8:
You are right..I think I may try this myself this weekend.
If any of you guys have a bit more detailed "carb cleaning for dummies" write up, please let me know..
Thank you all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (kam1996)

If you get into any problems shoot me a PM & I will give you my phone# or just give me yours & I will call you.

Things to watch out for on the older bikes with Keihin's are the float bowl screws (they strip easily if the screw is corroded), float bowl gaskets & the slide diaphragm's as sometimes they get stretched out of shape & don't want to fit back into the grooves & if you put a screw through one or tear it then they cost about $100 a pop for most Honda's (don't ask me how I know
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The pilot jets have a pretty small thru hole that gums up. Doubtful if you have a tool that can pass thru it. I have used one strand of a piece of say, 18 gage wire as the cleaning tool. Pass the wire through and rotate the jet around the wire by rubbing it across your pantleg thus spinning the jet. Blast it out with carb cleaner and do it again. Works like a charm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Old Fart)

I use hair wire. takes some time, but it works really well.

Also good for the super tiny holes in the emulsion tubes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I too use real small gauge wire to clean them out. Chemicals are OK, but you will get residue on the wire as you work it through the holes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Phil 998)

I use small number drills. You'll probably need the smallest (#80) and a "pin vise" to hold it. Solvent alone won't do it, you have to physically remove the crud like stated in previous posts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (weasel)

Then of course, new pilot jets are like what? two bucks? eight bucks? Whatever they cost, they probably cheap enough that you can just throw away your od clogged ones.

Something to think about... if your pilot jets are clogged, your emulsion tubes probably are too... those are more expensive... but also easier to clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (banda)

Replacing them is best. Finding them in stock at the dealer would be good, too. I almost forgot, since you are gonna have to pull the carbs it would be an excellent idea to replace all the rubber manifolds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

OK, now you guys are talking about stuff I know nothing about..
Rubber manifolds? I may have seen them and not know what they were called.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take all of the pilots, mains and emulsion tubes
(basically anything brass that you can remove)
clean them up as well as you can using the wire/carb cleaner/etc method. Then put them all in a test tube filled with fresh battery acid for about ten minutes. Flush them REALLY clean with hot soapy water, blow dry, admire,
re-install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (oljackboy)

You can also stick them in an ultrasonic cleaner - you can get one for a few bucks on ebay. They also work with jewlery - so the wife wont frown on this tool!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (MATTinMN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kam1996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, now you guys are talking about stuff I know nothing about..
Rubber manifolds? I may have seen them and not know what they were called.</TD></TR></TABLE>They attach the carburators to the cylinder head. Given that the bike is an 89, they are probably original. They dry out, crack and leak. It is also easier to get the carbs back on with fresh, flexable manifolds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

hehehe those are boots

& not that I am preaching Honda quality, but in comparison the boots on the older Honda's & Kawasaki's to a lesser extent seem to remain much more pliable & in overall good condition than the Suzuki's or especially the Yammie's which dry rot like nothing else I have seen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts