Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the plugs in,noticed the one is a gold tone the other is a silver,im hopin thats just a production change.the numbers match(ngk-ifr9h11)is it safe to use a feeler guage to check the gap,im guessing the plug is pre gapped.ive never used a iridium plug or ever seen a tip this small,just thought id ask before i ruined the plug.should an anti seize be used or is it not needed?thanks:D

·
RC51-less Member
6,675 Posts
i prefer to use a wire guage for plug gap, but it doesn't really matter. the color difference is because some plugs are (i believe) zinc plated and some aren't. not sure of the application reasons, but the plating resists corrosion.

It's not a bad idea to add a very small smear of antisieze any time you're screwing two different types of metals together. especially when one of those metals is aluminum. (head) very little is needed....

even though plugs come "pre-gapped", always check them. If someone dropped it, the gap can change, and the $1.25 a week, overseas child laborer may have had a bad day that day....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would not use a feeler guage on iridium plugs because you can damage the electrode! those plugs are pre gapped and there is no need for gapping:rockon

·
Registered
550 Posts
VTWINGRIN said:
I would not use a feeler guage on iridium plugs because you can damage the electrode! those plugs are pre gapped and there is no need for gapping:rockon
You can use a feeler gauge to measure it, but you shouldn't try to re-gap it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The RC51 responds to spark plug changes more so than any other bike I have owned.
We have actually seen 1-2 hp gains from simply installing new plugs at 4000 mile intervals.
& the increased throttle response can be detected even without a dyno.

It is also important to know that you cannot gap the plugs on the RC due to the
high probability of damaging the delicate iridium electrode

PART #'s

FR9BI-11 (00-01 NGK)
IK27C11 (00-01 NIPPON DENSO)
IFR9H11 (02-03 NGK) 31919-MEB-671
IK27PRZ11 (02-03 NIPPON DENSO) 31919-MEB-672

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
600killer said:
The RC51 responds to spark plug changes more so than any other bike I have owned.

We have actually seen 1-2 hp gains from simply installing new plugs at 4000 mile intervals.
& the increased throttle response can be detected even without a dyno.

It is also important to know that you cannot gap the plugs on the RC due to the
high probability of damaging the delicate iridium electrode

PART #'s

FR9BI-11 (00-01 NGK)
IK27C11 (00-01 NIPPON DENSO)
IFR9H11 (02-03 NGK) 31919-MEB-671
IK27PRZ11 (02-03 NIPPON DENSO) 31919-MEB-672
cool!thanks everyone:rockon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts