Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 2001 748. Runs perfect, 7200 miles, no problems what so ever(knock on wood
). But, it makes a noise starting right at 4100 rpm's. It's kinda like a popping noise. Sounds sorta like what valves or an exhaust leak would sound like. Can't figure it out for the life of me.
It will not do it if you just rev it up. You have to have a load on it before it will do it.

Took it by the Ducati dealership here in Dallas, and they wouldn't even ride it. They just reved it up and said they didn't hear anything. Told them they had to be riding it to hear it(has to be under a load). But, they said that if they can't hear anything with it just sitting there, then there's nothing that they could do to fix it.

Anyone got any clues? It's all stock, nothing done to it at all. Even stock pipes.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Question about a noise in the 748... (n737nc)

The first thing that comes to mind is find another dealer. I mean, to blow you off like that is unacceptable. If they're going to blow you off, at least they could have made it seem like they actually did take a look at it.

The second thing that comes to mind is pre-ignition or detonation because you say the noise occurs with the engine under load.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question about a noise in the 748... (paulo57509)

Can you make a sound bite?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, can't make a sound bite.
I know I should find another dealer, and I will. There is another one about 50 miles south. So I may try them.

If it was pre-ignition or detination, wouldn't it do it throughout the rpm range, or anywhere when I am on the gas hard? It always starts right at 4100rps, and it doesn't matter if I am on the gas hard, or very gently accelerating. It always does it, and it is always right at 4100rpms and up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (n737nc)

The 2V bikes make a sound like that around the same RPM. It's the intake noise. I think it's the intake valves popping open and sucking in air. Are you sure you're not just hearing normal intake noise?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be. I have no idea. This is the first Ducati that I have ever owned, or riden. So all of these noises are new to me. I have worried about every clank and cladder that this thing has made. So far, they have all been normal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would the intake valves make that noise when it is sitting still, bike in neutral, and reving it up??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'd make sure its not the 'Ducati Honk'. Bike will not 'honk' unless under load with the intake sucking a good amount of air in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n737nc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would the intake valves make that noise when it is sitting still, bike in neutral, and reving it up?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What Kennedy said... It doesn't make that sound if you're in neutral just reving the engine. Under load only. I don't know what a 4V sounds like, but I can tell you a 2V bike with an open airbox lid will pop your freaking eardrums at WFO! Ear plugs are a must.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Question about a noise in the 748... (n737nc)

The stock OEM chip it could have a problem with the FI map. I seem to remember some problems at around 3500 that would cause some poping up through the intakes under load. It would usually go away at around 5k though. A PCIII would take care of it if that's the problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are in Dallas then you are close enough to Advanced Motor Sports in Alvarado. I don't think they will blow you off like that. Get thee to AMS! Call and ask for Brian and tell him what you hear.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts