Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goods times had by too few people yesterday in springfield. i can't believe it was the heat that kept some riders away(except in my class, vet). it was a shame. they built some quads that you had to double double. it wasn't too friendly to my haven't jumped much in years self, but i managed. the course conditions were great. the track was so hot and greasy that even i started backing it in a bit and breaking it loose on the exits. i can't wait for the next event in odessa, ks. a lot of fun for a measly $30

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Props to Gateway Supermoto (Nick Novice)

Thanks for the props! The Vet race was definately a nice show, so we appreciate that. Daniels, Pursley and Loire put on a great show in the Open class also. It was a little bit of a bummer to see so few people (approx. 47 entries) show up though. Anyway, we don't get too down about that though because I know we built a good track and we pay very good money to the fast guys, plus I think we have much more creative swag than just trophies. We'll keep our fingers crossed for our Sat. night race coming up on Aug. 27th. Not many people around here have raced SM under lights so I'm hoping we can draw a crowd.

As for the quads, I think they worked out well. They were small enough not to hurt anyone, yet hard enough to give the MX guys a chance. My dad has turned into quite the Bobcat guru.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doesn't that make him Robert "Bobcat" Cap.....?

p.s. mr donelson made for an interesting flagman. i enjoyed his old school starting technique. but found his flag rules sort of a...odd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Nick Novice)

Could you guys give a quick rundown of the results? Top 3-5 in each class?

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick Novice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">p.s. mr donelson made for an interesting flagman. i enjoyed his old school starting technique. but found his flag rules sort of a...odd</TD></TR></TABLE>

I liked his starting technique because no one jumped all day. I was too busy working so I didn't get to the riders meeting. What were his flag rules? I should probably know that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found it odd that there was only one yellow flag. meaning there was no passing on ANY yellow. so if a guy was trying to get his bike started in the grass near the track, you weren't supposed to pass??? i questioned it and asked if there was a standing and a waving yellow and carl said no. however, it didn't change my result. nor did i hear anyone getting called for passing on a yellow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That's not correct. This is from our rule book:

YELLOW FLAG: A) When held stationary-indicates a potentially dangerous situation
near the track or a slower moving motorcycle. B) When waved vigorously-indicates a
hazard or obstacle on the track, avoidance maneuvers may be necessary. Exercise
extreme caution; slow your speed until past the situation. Passing for position under a
waving yellow flag is NOT allowed and the offending rider will be assessed a penalty.
See Chapter 5 under PENALTIES.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carl was working from the ol' boy rulebook. don't get me wrong. it was comical. like when he said don't count laps as he is an old guy and may make mistakes. just look for the green, hopefully a white flag, followed by a checkered flag. "race until you see the checkered flag." and that i tried to do. i don't know how those 50+ guys did it. i came in after my last practice session suffering from the heat. i had to readjust my clutch play as i couldn't pull the lever back far enough as to not kill my bike. i'm a lame almost 37 year old. i'm glad your still gimpy dad didn't race. though i miss seeing him jump doubles while still in the seat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (chriscap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's not correct. This is from our rule book:

YELLOW FLAG: A) When held stationary-indicates a potentially dangerous situation
near the track or a slower moving motorcycle. B) When waved vigorously-indicates a
hazard or obstacle on the track, avoidance maneuvers may be necessary. Exercise
extreme caution; slow your speed until past the situation. Passing for position under a
waving yellow flag is NOT allowed and the offending rider will be assessed a penalty.
See Chapter 5 under PENALTIES.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is exactly how our corner workers are instucted - They get little laminated cheat sheets that state the same.

However, the flag rules may indeed be different if Carl is holding the flag. As a very green race organizer I am loathe to contradict him. I picture any possible argument ending with a yellow flag inserted in an uncomfortable and inconvenient location.

Don't mistake what I'm saying - I love Carl. I hope to be Carl some day. That dude tells you how its gonna be, and then, by golly, that's the way it is. In my book, that's about the best thing you could say about a man.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick Novice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Carl was working from the ol' boy rulebook. don't get me wrong. it was comical. like when he said don't count laps as he is an old guy and may make mistakes. just look for the green, hopefully a white flag, followed by a checkered flag. "race until you see the checkered flag." and that i tried to do. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What Carl didn't know at the time was that I had a shiny new mechanical lap counter for him. He dug it. Later he told me that he used to just draw marks in the dirt with the tip of the flag for each lap, and while that's a cheap way to do it, all you had to do was step in the wrong place to lose count. Lap counter or not, I liked his speech. I'm going to remember that one for a long time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (banda)

Sorry I missed out on all the sweaty fun in S'field....had a previous engagement and didn't realise the conflict until the tickets were already purchased...went to the Cards game with Miles 3rd grade class...it was a bit warm in ol' Busch Stadium...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (804)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 804 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could you guys give a quick rundown of the results? Top 3-5 in each class?

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better than that: http://speedzilla.zeroforum.co...45733 A speedzilla exclusive first peak at the full race report.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That dude tells you how its gonna be, and then, by golly, that's the way it is. In my book, that's about the best thing you could say about a man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And that's why he was given that job! You find someone who works harder for $0 and they can take his place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts