Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
long story short i bought my new to me 04 in feb. and immediately started prepping it for the track. i was a pretty good expert class racer in ccs and lrrs with a little wera endurance racing as well. i knew this wasnt really a competitive bike by todays standards but then again im prepping it primarily for trackdays with a little racing here and there. with a house, wife, 3 kids and twins on the way my budget for racing really isnt there. at any rate, i bought this bike and it looked very clean from the pictures the seller had. and he was 4 hours away. the bike wasnt quite as clean in person but it seemed in good working order nonetheless. i get her home and start pulling off the plastics to find out that this guy had no idea how to keep a nice bike clean. there was 6 years of grime on the engine, inside the swinger, on the shock, all over the motor, and the rims apparently had never been really cleaned. so i pulled the bike apart all the way down to the frame swingarm and motor and got to detailing, safety wiring, etc.. etc... picked up my ss brake and clutch lines, new chain and sprockets, new swingarm guide as the old one fell off, race tires, swingarm and frame sliders, clipons/grips and a few other misc. items. couldnt afford suspension just yet so that will be next season. picked up old bodywork a sharkskinz upper and belly and no idea what the tail is,and although it looks good now it was a mess and really a piece of shit otherwise. and to keep it short ill stop there and post the pics...

before

after

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, ive custom painted all my bikes over the years at my fathers autobody shop so i have access to the right materials and tools to do it right. the black number plates are a metallic black and really look nice in the sun. the gray is the same gray as my truck but the dark garage pictures really don't do it any justice... ill have to get some pictures out in the sun one day soon. im hoping to hit the track this friday depending on how busy work is.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. i gotta get some good pictures out in the sun. the clearcoat really looks like glass over the base coat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is the RC51 a good bike to start learning to track on? I've owned motorcycles for two years now with my '04 RC being my latest. I've also got a friend I work with who does track days on an '02 GSXR. After going to the AMA races at Road America this past weekend I got a little bit of a bug to kick around the idea of getting another bike to try getting into track days and such.

I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything, but it appears you've got the plan and means with your RC to run it on the track so I'd like to ask of your opinion on it. I'd just be wondering if it's a good beginning track bike for a new guy? I don't ride my '04 on the street or back roads like I'm on the track, so I'm not really sure I'd know what to expect for how it would behave differently. There's an '05 that's pretty cheap around my area with ~5k miles on it that would be a good track candidate with a little effort and money.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
corsair, get a suzuki sv650 to start going to the track with. imo its the best bike anyone can start learning the track on. the power delivery is a lot safer and easier to use on the track than a 600 (and especially a 1000). its a slower bike than the inlines, but a slower bike will teach you more about corner speed, braking, and your markers better than a faster bike so in the long run it will teach you more because you have to rely on your skills rather than the performance of the motorcycle to get around the track. the other benefit is that you can find them easily, and spare parts are very abundant. just check out the classifieds on the wera forum.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man. i just added my racing numbers to the bike last night so it helps break up the black number plates a bit.

i had a great time with the bike on the track. there were a couple other guys at the track with rc's too so that was nice to see. as previously stated my budget didnt allow for me to get suspension work done yet, but suprisingly the stock suspension did very well considering im about 220lbs. granted the pavement was freaking excellent on this track (Monticello Motor Club) in Monticello, NY. and considering i havent been on the track (or even a street bike) in about 4 years, also on a completely new bike to me (im used to racing gsxr's) and a completely new track i got up to speed fairly quickly and by the end of the day i was one of the fastest guys in the advance group (keeping in mind i didnt even consider pushing past about 85% because it was just a trackday.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts