Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend was the begining to my project of the year. Most of you who know me probably know that my family has 31.5 acres of wooded land near Farmington, MO - aprox. 20 min drive from St. Joe State Park. This past weekend I went down & camped out Sat & started cutting a trail on Sun with the help of a couple of friends & their kids. The finished project should be in the neighborhood of a 1 mile loop with two creek crossings & whatever jumps naturally work into the trail & probably some built with a bobcat. Sunday's efforts yeilded aprox. 1/4 mile of well defined trail (ranging from about 6'-18' in width, depending on natural terrain) with one creek crossing. We had the kids collect rocks & build a sort of loose "slab" across it to help prevent erosion & riding over or higher through the water helps prevent contamination of the stream. Hopefully, another 3 or 4 full days of work should get the loop to completion & I can begin working more on jumps & maybe a crossover trail to run different "loops". It looks like the next work will be on the second weekend in Feb, hopefully it's a bit warmer then (15° F @ night - Brrrrrr!) & we get more work in. If anybody is interested in coming down to camp, drink, work, & ride, let me know. The sooner I get this thing done, the sooner me & my off-road riding buddies (mostly you guys) have a FREE place to ride. So far I think the layout is going really well, but it'd be nice to have some input from some more experienced riders. The idea is that I'm making a trail that is technical/challenging/fun enough for dirtbikes & quads (mostly dirtbikes) with riders of varying age, experience, & skill levels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i'll lend a hand if it'll help. i'm about to order a new liver and pacemaker for the crf. i have to get as much riding in as possible before august. we're expecting a new ankle biter. that may cut a hole in my season. but until then... maybe cappy can help an afternoon. he's cut a bit of trail in his day.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (Nick Novice)

Would be glad to have you if you can make it. You still have the CRF in pieces then?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (Jacka$$)

Just extend the invitation and I'm there!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the crf hasn't even made it to pieces yet. i'm waiting until i i have all of the parts(i hope). it'll be finished in a weekend.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (chriscap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just extend the invitation and I'm there!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll know for sure, once it gets a little closer, but I'm tentatively scheduling for Feb 12 & 13.

Hopefully I'll get a few hands down there, so long as guys wives aren't still agrivated with them due to superbowl the weekend before.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Private dirt trail coming soon! (Jacka$$)

Sounds cool. I'll be in Chicago for the Cycle World show Feb 12-13. But I do have Friday-Sunday off until April, so if you could use a hand on those day lemme know.

It'll be those days that I REALLY will miss having a dirtbike
Damn money, never enough laying around when you need it

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks banda. no worries. the superbowl won't affect me. when is it? just kidding.

for those that know me well enough, football is not my game. maybe i could have been a kicker. like basketball, i just couldn't get into it. but enough about me... let's do some riding woohoo(in my best duke's of hazard)! where's walnut been? he's either working more or... maybe he's got honeydo's. i crack myself up.

gotta go, my wife's callin'.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Nick Novice)

jow about a pavment section and you can call it Endurotoard

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (Giannis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nick Novice »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where's walnut been? he's either working more or... maybe he's got honeydo's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm back...with a new computer...now all I need is a job...
Been pullin checks from the guv'mint lately...
Thinking about starting my own handyman business...as I am handy.
Speaking of handy, I'd love to help out on the Jacka$$land project. That weekend will work for me, unless my dad has to have surgery...leison in trachea, benign, surgery to be scheduled during this week for a future date....hopefully soon...

congrats Nick and the Warden! That rules!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Private dirt trail coming soon! (Jacka$$)

Sounds great Scott! I've got plans for that weekend but would like to help out sometime.
Jim

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allright guys, consider yourselves "invited" should you wish to come down & lend a hand. I will be headed down friday night, possibly early Saturday morning. Be aware if you plan on coming that there is no electricity or running water, & yes, Jacka$$ $h!ts in the woods!

Anyone who's interested in coming down, send an e-mail to sevans%@%alkemeyer.com (minus %'s, of course) or call me on my cell (# in my profile) & I will e-mail or give you directions.

Modified by Jacka$$ at 2:35 PM 2/8/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
unless you're looking for someone to ride bitch, i'm out. i worked on the heart of the crf tonight. i forgot to order valve guide seals. i'm hoping donelson's has them. if so, i should be reinstalling it by sunday. like your sig says....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More trail cut on 02-12-05

Well, it appears that my initial estimate of a 1 mile loop was a bit on the conservative side... Two buddies & I put in about 6 hours of work last Sat & got an additional 1/2 mile of trail (including one jump off a granite boulder) cleared, & there's still almost a 1/4 mile to go just to the end of my property on THAT SIDE. There are tons of "switchbacks" & the layout ended up being about 4 times more technical than it seemed while cutting the trail on foot... though for the most part, that's a good thing. I'd estimate that the total length of the loop should wind up in the neighborhood of 1 3/4 - 2 miles. This thing is going to be some serious fun especially after we get the bobcat down to make some jumps.

We carved a trail that's barely wide enough to fit an '82 toyota 4x4, with trees rubbing on BOTH sides, down it,(with many multiple point turns) for use as our pack-mule / wheelbarrow while cutting the trail & will also serve as a crash-truck / ambulance once the project is complete. I was a bit concearned about how wide & boring the trail would seem if cut wide enough for the truck (about 6') to pass, but trust me, it narrows up more than you'd imagine "at speed". I've allready dubbed one section as "Patterson Curve", as the guys helping me were the Patterson brothers, who both wiped out in the same turn, on different "runs".
(men & machines were all OK).

I'm tentatively planning on going back down for more work, either on March 12th & 13th, or 19th & 20th. If anyone wants to lend a hand, do a bit of riding & camping, let me know. For guys who'd like to do more riding than work, you could always come lend a hand on Sat, camp that night & then go ride @ St. Joe on Sun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts