Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for any Aluminium experts or anyone that knows about this.

I have fabricated a number of parts from Aluminium for my project bike and want to know is there any special/recommended finishing, treatment or degreasing etc to be done prior to sending the off to be anodized?

All parts are brushed alloy finish, I want to get them natural anodized as this will be easier to keep looking sharp by not getting visable the stone chipped look.

Any help would be appreciated.

(edit), I also want to strip existing gold parts to be re-anodized to black, same questions again I guess how to?

Many thanks.

Modified by Monstaman at 3:07 PM 6/16/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Prepping Billet Aluminium For Andozing?? (Monstaman)

i may be wrong here Andi but i don't think you do anything. give it to who you are having do the anodizing and they should take care of the prep.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Prepping Billet Aluminium For Andozing?? (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i may be wrong here Andi but i don't think you do anything. give it to who you are having do the anodizing and they should take care of the prep.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, minus such things as wheels, swing-arms and such that should have bearing and the like pulled. You can also get into the negotiating realm if your parts are "clean" and polished for some projects fo that those hours are not part of you labor pay.

your other note of "chipped look", that would be more in the realm of powder coating vs. anodizing.....although anodizing will/could have issues with scratching and chemical abrasives and UV light rays fading or creating issues with color.

just my
as a non-professional but researcher of loved interests

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The person doing the anodizing will prep it by dipping it into a solution, stripping it of everything. Some alloys pit when they are stripped, and others come out smooth. Usually really soft alloys are more prone to pit when they strip old anodizing off and redo it. You should be good to go on what you are doing.

Also what throttlehead said about the things with bearings.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Prepping Billet Aluminium For Andozing?? (CaliDuc)

Andi, aluminum anodizing is just a thin coating of oxidation that is the third hardest surface known to man, it just isn't very thick. If the aluminum you are sending off to be anodized has never been anodized then they will not strip it. Because it is very thin, anodizing lets the preanodixed surface come through, so if there is a scratch or imperfection in the surface, it will show after it is done too. So if you have the finish you like then send them in. Every bike Ducati makes has anodized fork tubes, it's just nobody gives it a thought.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Prepping Billet Aluminium For Andozing?? (Phil 998)

Thanks guys, yeap they are gonna get the brushed finish so I will send them away scratchless(other than my grain), no rubber or anything to remove so that is cool.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If it's a naked aluminum part, no prep is necessary. The anodizer would likely appreciate it if the part isn't oily or greasy tho.

If it's already anodized, they'll have to strip and re-anodize. Costs about double, then.

Sometimes black anodized parts will turn a purplish-black after even moderate exposure to sunlight. Question the anodizer about this beforehand...I don't know what goes wrong, but I've seen it happen and it's not as pretty color.

Make absolutely sure any part you send in for anodizing has no steel parts in it; setscrews, bolts, helicoils, etc. If the anodizer doesn't see it, he'll start the processing, it will fcuk the part, and fcuk at least one of his tanks of sauce. Everyone will be unhappy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts