Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the other day that PPIR here in Colorado has been sold and the new owners plan to close the track. The new owners are heavily connected to NASCAR. Obvious speculation would be that they have closed this track in order to better there chances of convincing local government here in Denver to build a track. For some time somebody has wanted to build a raceway but have met staunch opposition.

Second Creek Raceway is also being closed. There is various rumor and speculation about a replacement for it but I have heard a major financial backer is connected to NASCAR. Again this is probably mostly rumor.

I am sad to see PPIR close because that means no AMA. I am sad to see Second Creek close because that was the only real track in the Denver area for locals. PPIR was not (easily/cheaply) accessible to the public track day rider. So if only one track is replaced I fear it will be big raceway complex.

So my question is how many raceway complexes that host NASCAR have motorcycle tracks? Are they any good? PPIR was ok but not great if you ask me.

Anybody have any facts as to the track outlook here in Co.?

I would love to see AMA back in CO and I would love to have a new track that I can go to put a few laps on my bike. The next few years don't look so good...

JO

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
According to this story on AMASuperbike.com:

According to a press release on the International Speedway Corp's web site, ISC (AKA Daytona) have purchased the PPIR facility and will dismantle it and sell the real estate. It will no longer be used for racing.

From the release: ISC will honor all of Pikes Peak's currently scheduled community uses and rentals through October 31, 2005. After that date, ISC expects to close the facility and begin to market the approximate 1,200-acre parcel for sale, with the requirement that the property not be used for motorsports-related events.

So it looks like they are not going to utilize it as a race track at all.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Gerg said:
So it looks like they are not going to utilize it as a race track at all.
But the speculation is that ISC is going to build another NASCAR style track in that part of the country. Officially ISC just says that they are tearing down the track and moving some assets to other ISC properties. They are selling the land itself, with the restriction that it not be used for motorsports events in the future. The thought is that there were problems with the current location and ISC thinks a new track in a different location will do better in that part of the country.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I wish they would make the Nascrap tracks like Motegi. That track is a well thought compromise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts